brand new pool

Hi, I bought a home in April that had an in ground pool that was in need of renovation.

I have never owned a pool before so this is all new to me.

We are just now getting it up and running after a completely new bottom, liner, some new coping, and new decking.
I had to fill it with well water that has a high iron content and so now I am working on getting the water to clear and removing
at least some of the iron.

They cut the skimmers and inlets yesterday morning so I just got the pump running yesterday.

It is a 20 X 40 with a 9' deep end. it also has a 9X12 kick out with stairs. I have a 250lb Hayworth sand filter.

We added a gallon of Sequa-sol while it was filling but Im not usre if it was effective since it didn't get circulated.
Once the pump was running we added 5 gallons of liquid shock. THe ph was pretty high so I added one gallon of muratic acid a couple hours later.

This morning I backwashed the filter and the water was very orange. The water in the pool is clearing but still has a greenish brown tint to it.

ph - 8.4
FC - 5
CYa - 30-50
alkalinity - 280

I feel like Im doing everything right but I thought I would check in here to make sure. I am getting a variety of answers from the pool store and the pool builder that did the work.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? I am afraid you are going to say test strip based on what you posted. If you want to understand and control the pool, you will need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

If you have a lot of metal in the water you are going to have to regularly add sequestrants ... see the metal article in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

You also need to keep the pH lower to reduce the likelihood of metal staining your new liner.

Have you found our Pool School yet? Start with these articles:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Yes I am using test strips right now. is the concern with the strips accuracy? Why are they not recommended?
I am starting to work on lowering the ph but I read somewhere else to try to remove as much metal as possible prior to bringing down the ph.
I just turned the pump on 48 hours ago and the shallow end is pretty clear but has a film of orange rust on the bottom. I vacuumed that up but I can't quite see the deep end yet well enough to vacuum.

One other question. I have read sequestrants break down over time. How often should I add them? is there a test you can use to measure the level of sequestrants? I already added a gallon of Sequa-sol but the water still has a green tint to it. Do I need to add more? Is it OK to change brands/products for sequestrants? Can I switch to Magic Jack after already adding Sequa-sol?

Im starting to read your links now. Thanks for your reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.