Aqua Perl in water - best way to clear

Boeks

Feb 28, 2013
Delaware
Decided to pull my FSN 60 DE filter apart this morning and give it a good cleaning. All went well, got things nice and clean and re-assembled the unit. I inspected the O-ring on the standpipe prior to re-assembly and noticed it was worn a bit, but it had not caused any issues all summer, so lubed it up and put everything back together.

Started the pump back up and began to re-charge the filter with Aqua Perl (have been using this since I purchased the home last year - previous owner used as well). Part way through, I noticed some filter media floating in the water. It was a bit windy this morning and I thought that it was media blowing from where I was mixing the slurry in a 5 gallon bucket prior to pouring it into the skimmer. Turned out that wasn't the case.

Long story short, I put about 10 scoops of Aqua Perl into the pool water through a filter that wasn't functioning properly. Disassembled the filter and determined the standpipe O-ring was bad.

The O-ring has been replaced, the unit re-assembled again and working. I've re-charged with 10 scoops of Aqua Perl (12 is normal). However, the water isn't clearing. My question is am I better to run the filter to get the excess out of the pool or does it make more sense to shut the pump down and let everything settle to the bottom? Should I finish fully charging the filter with the remaining two scoops of media (was thinking the media in the water would make up the difference to a point). With Aqua Perl being lighter than DE, will it sink to the bottom like DE normally would, or do I need to put some (hate to say it) clarifier in to help this along. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated on this one. Water is, as you can imaging, rather murky... can't see the bottom drains at all at this point. Water was perfect prior to this issue this morning.

Not sure...if you leave the pump off, does it settle? If so you could vacuum to waste. The filter should eventually catch it all, but we can't say for sure how long that'll be. You could try using a flocculant (rather than clarifier) to help it settle, but I'd probably just let it sit overnnight first to see if you need it.

Ran the pump slow all night last night. Most of the Aqua Perl did settle to the bottom. I vacuumed to waste tonight and it appears that I've gotten the vast majority of it out of the water. Probably take a few more days to finish the cleanup completely, but a major improvement non the less. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.