CYA Testing - Taylor 4088 Movable Dot vs Standard Vial Test

Scoop

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
Does anyone use the Taylor 4088 movable-dot testing vial for CYA testing?

Is it more accurate overall, vs the standard vial test (adding reagent until the stationary dot disappears)?

[edit]

I just found this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/45633-Taylor-CYA-Test-View-Tube

From reading this thread, more reagent is required for the 4088 testing vial. I guess it's not worth it to get the 4088 vial after reading the thread.

It IS easier to use, but it does use a lot more reagent. So, I bought a 16 oz bottle of it directly from Taylor for less than a 2 oz bottle I bought locally when I ran out of it trying to get my cya down to a reasonable level. I since have gotten much better at using the test block that came with my k-2006 so I don't use the 4088 much anymore.
Btw, testing and dosing fc daily should keep you from ever having to shock.

Thanks for the info. I'll stay with the standard CYA testing tube, black dot at bottom.

Since discontinuing the Chlorinator use with Trichlor tablets in June (2014) and dosing with Bleach, the pool's been in great shape.

Last Shock with Cal Hypo was June 12 2014.

My last D.E. Backwash was May 15th (2014). That's the longest I've gone between Backwashes during the swimming season.

CYA is dropping although I know it'll be a slow rate without partially draining the pool. I'm tracking the CYA reduction rate, testing about every 3 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.