torn between single speed and 2 speed pump

Sep 1, 2014
Mass
I'm in the beginning stages of this hobby and have not purchased a pool yet. I am trying to decide on a pump and filter system for a 24' AG pool. My local pool store is wants $1300 for a complete pump/filter/pool starter kit package. The pump is a Hayward single speed Matrix and the filter is a Perflex DE style Hayward (EC50C92STL). There will also be a vacuum package and other needed starter stuff in that $1300 price.

My issue is deciding if I should use a single or 2 speed pump. I just got off the phone with the owner of the store and he said he does not use any 2 speed pumps in his installs because they have a high failure rate. He also said that the pool will NOT filter the water as good on the low setting which will then require me to constantly buy more chemicals. I then asked about running a 240V pump versus a 120V to cut down on amp draw and he said he would have to get me into the IG pump and they are a LOT more money.

I'm confused now. This pool company has been in business for almost 30 years so I was under the assumption that they knew what they were doing. Is this guy right on what he said or should I just purchase my own stuff online and not from them. I will be buying a 24' Aqua Leader pool from them before the year is up. I have no problem buying the rest from other vendors considering his $1,000 salt water setup can be bought for $430 on Amazon!!

My issue is deciding if I should use a single or 2 speed pump. I just got off the phone with the owner of the store and he said he does not use any 2 speed pumps in his installs because they have a high failure rate. He also said that the pool will NOT filter the water as good on the low setting which will then require me to constantly buy more chemicals. I then asked about running a 240V pump versus a 120V to cut down on amp draw and he said he would have to get me into the IG pump and they are a LOT more money.
Total nonsense.

First, many people on this forum have two speed pumps and the failure rate is no worse than a single speed.

Second, filtering the water has very little to do with chemistry. Filtering simply removes debris. Circulation helps with distribution of chemicals but studies have shown that very little circulation is actually required and low speed can easily handle distribution in a very short period of time.

Third, a filter actually works better on low speed and captures more dirt and debris.

Fourth, just ask anyone that has used both a single speed and two speed pump, including me, pools stay just as clean and use just as much chemicals as a pool with a single speed pump.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I will be buying my own equipment from other places and just buy the pool from this company and have them do the install. He is trying to sell me on the salt water setup which I dont mind but he wants an extra $1,000 for the equipment and I found it on Amazon for under $450.

I have a two speed pump and love it. I run it on low with a timer from noon to 10pm. The only time I run it on high is when I toss in Wanda the Whale. If I remember correctly the amp draw on high is 11 and on low 2. Well worth it. Also, I paid around 250 for the pump and around 300 for the filter.

I have been looking online to see if Hayward offered a pump/filter combo package with the speed pump option but Im not having any luck so I may have to build my own setup. Does anyone know what base I need for the EC50 style DE filter?

Two speed will help pay for itself, single speed will not.

thats my biggest reason for wanting the 2 speed pump.

Pool guy with 40 years experience says the low setting wont circulate enough water which will screw up the levels which will then require me to spend more money on chemicals to "fix" the water.

Its looking like I will have to order everything separate and build my own filter/pump setup since I cant find a "package deal" that offers the Hayward Matrix 2 speed and Perflex DE filter with base.

You're lucky, I just happen to have another BS flag to raise. Right now, I'm running my recently installed vs pump at 1500 rpm for the 12 hrs my swcg is running and another 12 hrs at 1000 rpm. So far chlorine is being generated sufficiently to keep it at where I want it. And I haven't seen any unusual chemistry issues. I've never seen so low a psi at either pump speed and the noisiest part of my setup is the boost pump for my Polaris and I'm considering replacing that with a robot.

My PB was of the same opinion as yours. I gave in to him, basically because my build was going way higher than I wanted it to anyway...and our electricity is cheap. When I replace my single speed, I will go VS. I know many on here don't think they are worth the money....but it's not a HUGE jump in price from 2spd and you get that much more adjust-ability to get what you want. Do you need that adjust-ability? I doubt it....but it's nice to have. After playing with one, I really like it. I'll go ahead and replace both of my pumps with VS pumps. I'm a nut job and love things I can tinker with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as I know, there is not inexpensive easy setup(plug and play) VS pumps for AG pools so I will just choose a 2 speed pump and toss it on the base that the filter is on and be done with it.

I think you're right. I didn't even read the AG part...oops.(I skim...badly) 2spd is great as well, definitely will be an improvement over 1spd.

Im still baffled why this pool place told me to stick with a single speed. I did a lot of reading and video watching prior to walking in this pool place and this pool place owner went against every single thing I read or seen on here as well as other pool sites.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.