lion22

Aug 13, 2014
Monticello MN
Hello to all.

Is there an "average" FC a pool should loose over the course of one day? Assuming a very light swim load (usually only 2 adults), and direct sun on the pool during daylight hours I'm just trying to gage what normal liquid chlorine additions would be over the course of a week. I know Pool Math will get me where I need to be numbers-wise, just curious if there's an FC drop "cutoff" of some kind where I should be on alert that there may be a potential "problem" on the horizon. Thanks.

Thanks again. Assuming CYA isn't low (below 30), would it make a difference (regarding FC loss) if the CYA were 30-50 (ideal) or 50-70 (higher)? This is assuming of course the FC level is at the appropriate number based on what the actual CYA is. Just curious; still in the learning process.

The higher the CYA and the lower the sun exposure and debris load, the less FC you should lose in a day.

For example, made up numbers, but should give you an idea:
If your CYA was 30ppm, your minimum FC is 2ppm, you may target 5ppm and lose 3ppm in a day
If your CYA was 60ppm, your minimum FC is 5ppm, you may target 7ppm and only lose 2ppm in a day

So with a higher CYA, even though you have to maintain a higher FC level, you actually lose less each day.

Maybe ...
CYA protects a % of the FC. If you have a CYA of 70ppm and FC drops from 8 to 3ppm in a day, you have a problem. But, if you started at a FC of 20ppm and it dropped to 15ppm, that could be normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I realize my comment is late, but one other parameter you are neglecting to think about are combined chlorines.

Free chlorine can bounce around quite a bit and I've seen some weird day-to-day variations in my pool. But I always know when there is a problem when I see FC fall and CCs rise - that tells me that something is growing, getting zapped by the chlorine and then breaking down into CCs.

So keep an eye out on your CCs as well. If you see them spike, that could also indicate a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.