To close or not in Georgia

Aug 1, 2014
oxford/GA
This is our first pool. It is an Intex rectangle Ultra Frame with the SWG/sand filter/pump combo. I'm not sure if we need to actually drain below lines and remove all pump/filter stuff to warm storage for the winter or if we should just put the cover on the pool but still run a few hours each day, making sure to run continuously if the temp falls below freezing. Opinions please.

If you stay warm, you can cover and run pump for a few hours and add FC as needed. You will have to run pump if temps dip below freezing. If you want to close completely, I would suggest you wait until your weather gets cooler and use Polyquat 60 to inhibit algae growth since you get warmer/milder winters than we do. Open early!!!

We had a 30' round above ground pool at my old place in Commerce, GA. It had a sand filter and a Hayward 2 speed pump. The first winter, I shut down the pool and drained below the skimmer. That spring it was green and I had to do all sorts to clean it up. The next year, I maintained my FC and ran the pump 24/7 on low speed and never had a problem. Just an FYI...

My new house has an in ground and I am probably going to keep it open and just watch my levels. Of course, I will run the pump during freezing temps to keep everything going.

trailbuddy69:

With an AG pool, you are right on the border (weather-wise) of keeping your pool open or closing (winterizing) it. An AG pool is more directly exposed to the elements compared to an in-ground pool. Since plenty of convincing arguments can be made in support of closing or not closing in your case, here's my $0.02:

• Closing (winterizing) the pool: If you go this route, wait until the water temp gets into the mid-50's °F or lower. I would follow the closing procedures outlined here: Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool. I would definitely add the Polyquat 60 algaecide as extra insurance against algae. In the spring, I would open early as Casey suggested. Open once the water reaches 50°F or so on a fairly consistent basis. This will greatly minimize the risk of algae. With this option, you will have a relatively maintenance-free winter as far as the pool is concerned.
  • Leaving the pool open: The biggest risk here is an extended power outage. I would locate all drain plugs for the pump and filter now while the weather is nice. I would even give the drain plugs a quick twist and back to make sure they are not seized (better to find this out now while you have plenty of time to deal with it). If the power were to go out for an extended period of time, you would need to drain the pump/filter to prevent freeze damage. You will need to periodically check and top-off the chlorine level and be sure to run the pump if temps get below freezing.

What would I do? Since you have an AG pool, I would close it (after properly preparing it). OTOH, if I had an in-ground pool in your location, I would leave it open (as I do in DFW).

I think you are likely to see more conservative suggestions this year given the brutal winter we all saw last year. We had several members that live along the I-20 corridor from TX to Ga that had never closed their pools develop several inches of ice even while maintaining circulation and varying degrees of damage. Of course some of those had been pool owners for 20+ years and had never seen anything like that before.

I cleaned/covered mine and just ran the pump about 1hr a day last winter. Since we had plenty of notice about the temperature drops, I would set my timer to run roughly 10-12 hrs on those days. Everything worked out fine...pool was still green in the spring but nothing a couple of weeks couldn't clear.

by the way I'm new here, been lurking for at least a year without registering. Great site!!!

Reactions: Wizardrow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.