Hayward thru the wall wide mouth skimmer installed on Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle poo

Aug 1, 2014
oxford/GA
Just wanted to share our thru the wall skimmer install. We had minimal water loss and didn't lower the level for the install. We had two people, one in the pool and one outside of the pool. We split the butterfly gasket in half with a razor blade. The inside person used an awl to puncture through the wall of the pool and then pushed the screws through the faceplate, gasket and into the holes. The outside person then held the already assembled skimmer in place while the inside person tighted all of the screws. Once we had averything tightened up, we attached the Intex hose to the PVC added to the skimmer. It was at this point that we used a razor blade to make the final cut and removed the piece of liner inside the mouth of the faceplate. No leaks and it seems to be working great. So glad we did this.

We were afraid of pushing the screws too hard thru the liner and causing a split so we put pressure and kind of screwed them into the liner. It looked very odd from the outside seeing those 14 screws with water dribbling around them but they stopped the water enough to finish the work. I then hung the outside gasket on the screws and we backed the screws back out so they were just barely hanging on and then pushed the skimmer against the pool while my husband screwed the screws into the skimmer. Even though we started with the faceplate flush up against the white part of the liner, it pulled down a bit when all was said and done. We can still see the line sandwiched between the outside piece and inside piece so I think it's all good. Time will tell.

Hi just wondering if once you installed you wide mouth skimmer did your skimmer stand straight up and down? Ours is having a lean to it... The wall of pool which is exactly where yours is installed is straight looking at it from the side! Very frustrated at this point. Can you be of any assistance with this matter?

Thanks, Kim

- - - Updated - - -

By the way we have changed pools from 26x52 to the 12x24x52...
I need to change this info on profile.

Kim

Due to the shape of the liner, the skimmer will sit at an angle. That is OK, it doesn't affect the performance of the skimmer as long as you make sure there is enough water in the pool. I keep the water level at 2/3 up the skimmer at all times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 335
Hi just wondering if once you installed you wide mouth skimmer did your skimmer stand straight up and down? Ours is having a lean to it... The wall of pool which is exactly where yours is installed is straight looking at it from the side! Very frustrated at this point. Can you be of any assistance with this matter?

Thanks, Kim

- - - Updated - - -

By the way we have changed pools from 26x52 to the 12x24x52...
I need to change this info on profile.

Kim

Glad I read that last bit, you might want to update your signature. Yes, since the wall of the rectangular pool is not vertical, the skimmer is at an angle. It's not a problem for skimmer operation, but you do have an inch or so less leeway to let your water level go down since the skimmer tips up as it goes back.
I also plumbed my skimmer in parallel with the other outlet so if the water gets too low for the skimmer or skimmer gets plugged, it can pull water from the other outlet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea...I was referring to the main connector on the bottom of the skimmer. There are both internal and external threads. The internals are 1.5" and I found an adapter for it. What are the external threads used for?

@Mickelin

I have been wanting to add a through the wall skimmer to my Intex pool for a while but most i have seen were installed just below the seam. My pool is only 48" high and I didn't want to sacrifice that much of a drop in water level. I am very encouraged seeing how high you mounted your skimmer.

Did you install the skimmer (cut opening though the liner) while the pool was empty, partially drained, etc? I am concerned cutting that high while my pool is full. Also wondering if you did it while the pool was full, was there any difficulties getting the screws that go through the pipe pocket (above the seam) to tighten/cinch up? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.