Question about the R-003 reagent and the FAS-DPD Chlorine test

Apr 14, 2014
Jamison PA
Ok, perhaps a completely silly question, but I had an interesting situation yesterday when doing my chlorine water testing. I use a TF-100 test kit. I was performing the FAS-DPD chlorine test, when I got distracted after adding the 5 drops of the R-003 reagent (having a newborn will do that to you!). So after I tended to my son (briefly- less than 5 minutes) I came back to a pink sample! It took 1 drop to clear. I can say it took awhile to get pink it was definitely clear after I added the drops and clear while I was washing my hands before getting the boy. My test kit is new (just a new pool owner this year), and the rest of my numbers were as follows:

FC 12
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 225
CYA 60
Salt 3800

I know my FC level is a bit high given the CYA level- I turned down the SWG right after getting the sample. I can't imagine there much in the way of CC's actually in the pool.

So, is my CC level actually .5, or is there something with leaving the reagent in the sample for awhile that just eventually turns it back pink?

Usually I don't wait more than 10-15 seconds before dumping the sample if it shows no color change. Should I be waiting longer? Am I being too darn anal retentive over possible .5 CC :rolleyes:?

Thanks again for your help and everyone's contributions to the website! It's been really useful reading everything, and I've gone my first summer with no algae blooms and the cost of about 1/2 a gallon of MA.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.