Fall is here, now what?

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
We have had our pool/house for 2 months and now fall is setting in. We went for what seems like our last swim this weekend and the water was down to a chilly 72, with no heater this year it looks like the end is here. My question is do I need to maintain my Fc level until I winterize it? Once winterized is it really ok to let the water freeze in the pool and main drain? So many questions with it being my first time winterizing, but more later. Thanks

Yes you need to maintain all of your levels until you close your pool. If you have never winterized, which it looks like is the case, please refer to the sticky on winterizing an IG pool article that is posted. There are some critical steps that need to be taken to insure that there are not broken lines and skimmers etc from freezing temps in the frozen tundra.

The pool will freeze. We have an IG SWG pool and especially if we have another winter like the last one, it will freeze. But you have to keep the freezing out of the pipes/drains/skimmers and light niches. Please call a pro or ask for help if you are not 100% certain of what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a pool company do it this year and follow along and learn how to do it. You'll bring the pool up to SLAM level for chlorine. Lower water about 12-18", blow out all the lines, shut off main drain, then plug each return, plug skimmer, put 1-2 gallons of RV antifreeze in skimmer, put half full jug of antifreeze in there as an ice "cushion", and then pull the drain plugs on pump, filter, heater, and finally cover it all up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.