Need some assistance

Sep 1, 2014
South Gate CA.
Only testing I have is these pool time 6way test strips .

The pool has been up for 3 days and used moderately 2-3 Hours per day with 4 people max
The water is getting cloudy and the liner is starting to feel a bit slimy I have not put chemicals because I don't know what to put or how much to put in .. Please help I read peoples posts and info in this forum but I don't seem to get it...image.jpg

You should immediately add 48 ounces of 8.25% liquid unscented bleach and brush the pool and circulate it. You should spend some time in Pool School and read the ABCs of pool Chemistry. Welcome to the forum.

@aussieta thank you for you're response ... can I use 10% sodium hypochlorite and if so how much do I put in ?

@woodyp thank you for the welcoming and as far as pool school and abc's I am doing that just going yo have to keep reeding it until it makes sense to me ..

Thank you both !!

Regarding 10% sodium hypochlorite (which is essentially stronger bleach), you would just put in a little less -- around 41 oz. to get the same concentration that woodyp was recommending (I believe the goal was to get you to 10 ppm (parts per million) of chlorine, which is shock level for water with no CYA (that's cyanuric acid, which is a stabilizer for chlorine)).

Take a look at PoolMath to start getting used to figuring out these values for your pool yourself:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

The sooner you get some bleach in there, the less mess to clean up -- the little pumps and even smaller filters on these pools make clean-up after algae quite challenging.

Cloudy water and a slimy feeling on the liner means stuff (algae) is growing in your pool.

Yep. Get some bleach in there ASAP. Consider adding 2 pounds TOTAL of dichlor over the next several days/weeks to get your stabilizer to about 40 ppm. Not all at once. Then it should be bleach only after that. No more solid forms of chlorine, which add CYA or CH.

At this point... you need to SLAM the pool. In order to do that, you need a reliable test kit and more knowledge of the methods we teach here.

You've gotten some good links already, this is the best place to start. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Ok so I bought a 5 way test kit and results were as follow:
Chlorine 0.6
Bromine 1.3
(For both chlorine and bromine the color of the water in test tube stayed clear )
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 300
Acid is low ( I had to add 3 drops of solution#3 hydrochloric acid)

Unfortunately, that is not was meant by a good test kit. These are the Recommended Test Kits.

You do not have bromine, so that does not matter. So, I am thinking what you really have only tests total chlorine, pH, and total alkalinity.

Have you used that XtraBlue? What are the 6 things it does? I am not sure that is a good idea as it may contain copper.

Honestly, the easiest path forward would be to drain the pool, clean it, and start over following the Seasonal Pool Guide. The alternative is to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What have you added since you filled the pool? No solid chlorine or stabilizer?

You need to get stabilizer and chlorine in the water.

I would suggest adding about 30ppm of stabilizer (dissolving in a sock) and then bleach up to about 5ppm until you have your kit. Use PoolMath to calcualate the amounts.

Alternatively you could use dichlor to add both at the same time. But I would not use the XtraBlue that you have. Find plain Dichlor and buy 2 pounds. Then add 1/4 pound each day until you have your test kit.

What have you added since you filled the pool? No solid chlorine or stabilizer?

You need to get stabilizer and chlorine in the water.

I would suggest adding about 30ppm of stabilizer (dissolving in a sock) and then bleach up to about 5ppm until you have your kit. Use PoolMath to calcualate the amounts.

Alternatively you could use dichlor to add both at the same time. But I would not use the XtraBlue that you have. Find plain Dichlor and buy 2 pounds. Then add 1/4 pound each day until you have your test kit.

Nothing has been added since the pool got filled with water

OK So I'm going to put 5.6 oz of CYA by volume of chlorine stabilizer (in a sock) and 25 oz of 10% sodium hypochlorite. <--- got this from the pool math with the numbers you shared with me.

I don't think you numbers are right. What pool volume and Now and Target levels do you have set?

30ppm of CYA would require ~13oz of stabilizer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait, you EITHER use stabilizer granules + bleach OR you use Dichlor which adds both. I think you may have been looking at the wrong place for the stabilizer.

Your signature says 3300 or 3500 gallons :scratch:

I can not read that screen shot, but I do not think you are using the CYA area to calculate the amount of stabilizer you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, looks like you figured it out. I think you are likely a little less than 4000 gallons though.

yes sorry the manufacture states that the pool water gallons is 3300, but iI found the formula to find out pool capacity for a round pool which is diameter X diameters X depth X 5.9 which if i input my numbers it gives me 4047 which i round down to 4000.

Do you think i should just go with the manufactures numbers???

Thank you for the patience and speedy response to my questions ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.