Is an animal batihing in my pool at night?

czipper

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
lets just say, I think that an animal is sitting on my top step at night. I was seeing sand in the pool, and naively assumed that it was from my new sand filter (see my other post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/83397-Was-my-Sand-filter-installed-improperly). The installer came, informed me that sand wasn't from the filter, because I am using Zeobrite which has a very different look. He showed me and I agree with him.
So where is my sand coming from? It seems to accumulate on the top step which has very shallow water, and we see dirt also on the top edge of the step mold where something dirty has been stepping on it. I know cats are around but am not sure that cats would frequent the pool since they are known for fear of water. But what about other animals (raccoons, squirrels ets.)? Do these animals frequent pools? i would like to know how to stop this from happening if any one has suggestions.

I get hawks and other large raptors sitting on my first pool step. Just enough to soak their feet and bums in my cool refreshing water....you could try installing a motion-sensor driven LED light that will turn on and scare away the creature....

lets just say, I think that an animal is sitting on my top step at night. I was seeing sand in the pool, and naively assumed that it was from my new sand filter (see my other post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/83397-Was-my-Sand-filter-installed-improperly). The installer came, informed me that sand wasn't from the filter, because I am using Zeobrite which has a very different look. He showed me and I agree with him.
So where is my sand coming from? It seems to accumulate on the top step which has very shallow water, and we see dirt also on the top edge of the step mold where something dirty has been stepping on it. I know cats are around but am not sure that cats would frequent the pool since they are known for fear of water. But what about other animals (raccoons, squirrels ets.)? Do these animals frequent pools? i would like to know how to stop this from happening if any one has suggestions.
Could be raccoons. I get them from time to time. Found a momma and her two kits in there last year...

I have seen cases where raccoons use the pool to wash their food. You can put out a trap to see what gets caught. Animal control might have traps available for use in cases of nuisance animals.

Footprints will often be visible in cases of animals visiting the pool.

I had a raccoon start getting in my pool when I left it uncovered one night. Then, when I started putting the cover on, it would take humongous poops on top. We finally trapped it. I learned to NEVER leave my pool uncovered at night.

I had a raccoon start getting in my pool when I left it uncovered one night. Then, when I started putting the cover on, it would take humongous poops on top. We finally trapped it. I learned to NEVER leave my pool uncovered at night.

Well, it seems to be a raccoon, we finally saw the dirty footprints around the edge. I have a raccoon trap already, since they liked to tear up my lawn in my old house. I don't relish the idea of trapping them again but I also don't relish the idea of the big poops that we'll find when we close the pool and put the cover on...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.