Refilling 26' Above Ground

Apr 8, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Hello :eek:)

So we have been on this site since we put our pool but since we had already bought the "chemicals" opted to use them up before adopting the pool free method. Big Big mistake. Our CYA totally got out of control after an algae outbreak that we were unable to overcome. Since the recommended fix was a 60% water change and we also were having a sinking pole problem we decided to empty it. We are also in AZ and have a while left of swimming with our pool heater.

So here we are with our pool almost filled and lots of bleach standing by. We just turned the pumps on. One question is what is the best way to get the CYA in the pool that we actually need? Is it ok to use a couple bags of the nasty "shock" since we already have it? Some people I have seen recommend it for that purpose only. We want to get it right this time and use this method.

Also when should we test the water? I have the TF-100 kit and have been trying to get the hang of the different tests.

Thanks for your input.

Here is the pool nowAug Refill 2014.jpg

And here is a picture from the initial fill :eek:)

FirstFillApril2014.jpg

It is better to add the stabilizer separately. In a pool your size 16 ounces of dichlor will give you FC 4.7 ppm and 4.3 ppm CYA. As you can see it would raise the FC far too high to add all the CYA at once using dichlor, and not raise CYA fast enough if you only added a bag or two a week. How many bags do you have left? Did you drain 100% of the water?

I understand your reluctance to toss, seemingly perfectly good stuff.
I`m so cheap I haven`t thrown any bath soap away for-well, ever.
I wet-weld the sliver to the bar.
Anyway, I gotta say forget the few dollars you have invested in the shock and get a pail of Cyanuric acid.
It`s not that expensive. I`ve seen it at Wal Mart.
When you consider the grief and work involved when it goes wrong, it`s worth doing it right-right off the bat.
Just my opinion.

We have 7 bags left and yes it was drained 100% since we moved it and fixed a couple poles in the back. We have a half bucket of pucks too but those are getting donated to someone that wants them on craigslist and won't be put in our pool.

Lol about the soap we do that too.

Sometimes I find it hard with the different names things go by.

The bleach we got are the 3 packs of concentrated stuff from costco. The effective chlorine says 7.85

As long as you understand what chemical adds what to your pool and how much, you fill find a time you can add a little dichlor or trichlor tabs. For instance I have 4 bags of Dichlor shock that Ive had for 3 years and I used a bag this year to raise my FC since my CYA was low. That put my CYA where I wanted it and I went back to bleach. I still have some Trichlor tabs from 3 years ago that are waiting to get used at some point, possibly a vacation.

My pool came with a bucket of pucks and I still have a couple bags of shock. When I first opened, I added CYA but I accidentally back-washed it all out before it completely dissolved. Used most of the pucks and finally got the CYA just where I want it. Only have a handful of pucks left which I plan to keep (along with a couple bags of shock) just for CYA adjustments later (splash happens).

You know, it`s really funny how easy it is to make your whole pool chemistry go haywire.
Even Wal Mart has a whole aisle devoted to stuff that tell you how great it is and how it will make your pool sparkle.
The local pool store is even worse and considerably more expensive.
If it were not for sites like this everybody would be swimming in chemical cocktails and wondering which "magic" potion will get their pool water looking like it should.
:lovetfp::lovetfp::lovetfp:

Welcome to the forum Tink :wave:

You might want to hang onto a few of the tablets to use should you be away (vacation, ... ) and unable to add chlorine for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.