Lower ph after adding bleach?

Jul 16, 2014
I ran out of bleach and wasnt able to add anything to the pool for id say 4 days. The water got cloudy, and then overnight turned green. Well, i added a whole bottle 121oz. 7.25 chlorine to the pool and tested the water after an hour read 5-10 chlorine. I have the basic leslies test kit for chlorine, ph and alkilinity. Ph was 8.2. So now im reading i should have lowered the ph first. should i put some muriatic acid in now? Or just use the bleach?

The reason you lower pH before you raise the FC level is because the higher FC level (above 10ppm I think) will cause the pH to read incorrectly. If you check your pH with a high FC level then you can see the orange color get darker and darker and darker within seconds. In other words it can show 8.2 when its really 7.6. If your real quick about reading the pH color shade after you put the drops in, it will be the first shade you can see. If you second guess yourself then it will already be a shade darker. If your not sure what your pH is then you shouldnt add it until your FC drops because you can easily send it down below 6.8 and not know it.

I did the same as you and did not lower the pH prior to starting slam. I added acid from prior experience to get it down to 7.2 ballparkish. It helped clear up the water and I wish I would have done it sooner and I got some stains cause of the high pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.