Grout & Plaster Need Repair?? Pics

Jul 26, 2014
Annapolis, MD
We're in the process of a drain and fill to reduce CYA. Since the water is down we're checking the pool for any other maintenance. Two issue for ya'all, one about tile and one about plaster...

1) There is tile at the water line and also run horizontally below each step and the bench. There are some small holes in tile grout. Is this in need of repair?
15084768056_019cc91aee_m.jpg

14921132880_eeb6f050a9_m.jpg

2) There are some small cracks in the plaster on the horizontal part of the steps. Is this cosmetic or is this in need of repair? We are doing some plaster repair in other areas using E-Z Patch Fast Set. The brown spots are not stains, either water still drying or just some discoloration from leaves falling in that hadn't been cleaned.
15104759431_29c6e18a28_m.jpg

14921073759_3756d80709_m.jpg

14921205998_87f5dc51e5_m.jpg

This is my first time posting pics - hope I did it right. I have some more pics if needed.

Appreciate any input.

That grout does not look in good shape. You do not want water to be able to get behind the tiles. You likely should cut all that grout out and redo it ... at least around all the holes.

I am not 100% about the plaster cracks. They are likely mostly cosmetic. I am not sure how you would repair them and not have them be more obvious.

Thanks for the response Jason.

I read through some other posts and it seems a sanded, not premixed grout is the general recommendation. Would something like this be your recommendation?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...2-Linen-25-lb-Sanded-Grout-PBG12225/100174940

The cosmetics of the plaster cracks (or repairs, if needed) don't bother me - more concerned about performance and not having to drain again in the near future to fix. With the valuable info I've learned here I shouldn't need to drain to fix CYA again :)

The grout can be cut out using a grinder or grout removal tool. You dont need to removal all of it, just enough to get a clean surface for the new grout to adhere to. Custom's Polyblend grout is a good choice. Use sanded for the size of your joints.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.