Slightly Cloudy Water

May 8, 2012
Takoma Park, MD
When we returned from vacation, pool was being "watched" by my son-in-law, the water was slightly cloudy and the pump had died. Quickly ordered and installed a new pump and started to chlorinate to shock levels with bleach. It was somewhat difficult to get it clear so I started adding D.E. to the sand filter and backwashing every couple of hours. After a couple of days it started to get slightly cloudy once more. The pool was much more cloudy this morning, having 12 small children in the pool yesterday and a major thunder storm last night.

PH 7.5
FC 7.0
CC 0.5
CH 125
TA 90

Pumps runs 6-12 hours a day depending on the conditions.

Thanks

Jim Potter

I don't see a CYA level. What is it so we can see if your FC is in range for it. How are you chlorinating your pool and what test kit are you using ?
Most of the time cloudy water is a water chemistry problem. Low FC levels for your CYA level is one. ?

With all the kids in the pool doing who knows what your FC may have dropped below the min.
Keep your FC levels up and see what happens in a day or two.
Your FC level is good now. I would always target 7 and never below 3. When you know your going to have a bunch of swimmers over its good practice to bump your FC levels up above the target slightly before and after the party. ?

Just a follow-up about calcium hardness in my vinyl agp.

The following is what the site pool calculator recommended.

Add 175 oz by weight or 136 oz by volume of calcium chloride

Does this sound right?

Jim Potter
Why would you want to increase calcium hardness? In the original post you report CH 125, which is fine for a vinyl pool. PoolMath suggests a range of 50 to 300, and you're right in there already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.