Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High level Phosphates Test

1. Back To Top    #1

High level Phosphates Test

Anyone know of a phosphates kit that will measure high levels (2,000 - 5000 ppb)?
    19,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, Propane heater
    SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High level Phosphates Test

If you really need that you could try the LaMotte 3114-01, but it is around $80 and fairly hard to find.

You can also use the usual test strips, that only go up to 1,000, with a 4 to 1 dilution and multiply the results by 5.

Why do you want to know your phosphate level? It almost never matters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Nevermind. I found some info that says you can extend the upper limit of the 1,000 ppb test as follows. By testing 9 parts distilled water and 1 part pool water, then multiplying the results by 10.
    19,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, Propane heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I want to test them because I have shocked my pool using the method on this forum, and still couldn't get the FCL up. Plus I have Mustard Algea.
    19,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, Propane heater

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have an active algae outbreak then you will not hold FC. You have to kill the algae FIRST!

6. Back To Top    #6

Follow the directions on shocking in this article.

If you really have mustard algae, you will also need to maintain an extra high FC level for a day or two extra after the algae appears to be gone and throughly clean all pool equipment, toys, and any areas with poor circulation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School