If I needed to raise chlorine in a SWG pool....

A SWG pool is a chlorine pool. So, as mentioned, no problem adding bleach.

From Pool School, Recommended Chemicals:

Raising PH

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.

MA is muriatic acid. You use this to lower PH.
Yes you can get washing soda in most grocery stores along with borax which is the same thing.

Ah... Thank you. I was thinking abbreviations for what's measured out of the test kits and didn't clue in to MA being Muriatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Washing soda and soda ash are the same thing in that they not only raise pH, but also raise TA. We recommend Borax to raise pH because it has little effect on the TA.

View attachment 32991

Thanks. That picture and your previous post explained a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just add bleach when I need my FC to go up. I find that my SWG maintains the FC, but doesn't really increase it. As far as Superchlorinate on the SWG, I don't use it because I'd rather not put any excess stress on my cell. Also, with Superchlorinate, you don't really know how much of an increase of FC you would get. If you add bleach, you can use this forum's Pool Math, and get to the level you want, and much more quickly than the Superchlorinate mode of the SWG.

MA = Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid

Washing Soda = Sodium Carbonate

Baking Soda = Sodium Bicarbonate

Borax = Sodium Tetraborate

BA = Boric Acid (I like using this better than borax for borate additions)

One word of caution - be careful with washing soda and ALWAYS check ingredients as I have noticed some formulations like to call themselves washing soda and use sodium peroxycarbonate (OxiClean is the example of this). Peroxycarbonate's will add peroxide to your pool which will react with the FC in your pool and turn it into chlorine gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.