My Pump story

Aug 29, 2014
Bedford, TX
Hello everyone. Great forum here. I love/hate taking care of my two pools, one at my house and one at a rental. They were both built by the same company so they are basically the same. Big cartridge type filters with Pentair pumps.

Ok, here is my story. I had to replace the bottom part of the cartridge tank because it exploded. 20 years old, I can't complain. I fired it up and all was good. Went back about six hours later and cleaned the filter and on re-start the pump motor buzzes and won't run. I let out a big FU cause I figure the motor is gone but tried to restart with the timer a couple times and the same thing happened. The timer is the kind where you raise and lower the red plastic fingers around the dial to determine on and off. Because the pool needed a major cleaning I had them all set to "on" and I turned the pump of the with the little round knob and left sort of frustrated. It was late on Friday so I knew I wasn't going to get a new pump motor for a few days. This was a mistake because it must have gone back to the on position almost immediately and when I went back a few days later the pump motor had been "energized" the whole time. I got lucky, could have been a disaster.

So, after all that, here is my question. When I first heard it buzzing and not running could that have been a capacitor issue? I was reading allenzak's panicking thread and I saw that advice and discussion about the capacitor and I never thought about that before. I've replaced the motor on my home pool once so I just went ahead and got a new motor off Ebay and got it up and running today.

One other question. I bought what I thought was the same 1 1/2 HP motor but the new one has a Service Factor (SF) of 1.1 while the old one had 1.47. I read up about that on an interesting web page and understand this is related to amp drawing and blah blah blah. I'm wondering if I'm going to burn it up?

Sorry for being long winded.

Yes, it could be capacitor issue and yes, you can burn up your new motor if the THP (Label HP * service factor) is not has high as the old one.

But welcome to the forum.

If you have a WFE-6 Whisperflo pump, then it is almost definitely too big for your pool unless the pool is over 50,000 gallons and has more than 4 skimmers. The total H.P of the old motor was 2.2 H.P.

As MAS985 said, the new motor is undersized for your current impeller and will cause the new motor to overheat and shorten the life of the motor.

Depending on the specs of your pool, you could replace the existing impeller with a 073127 (designed for a total H.P of 1.25) or a 073128 (designed for a motor with a total H.P of 1.65) (Assumes a Whisperflo pump)

What pump do you have and what are the specs of your pool?

My pumps are Ultraflows. I checked the one here at my house and I put the same specification motor on it about 2 years ago.

I see from this diagram that there are six different impellars like you ar talking about. .5, .75, 1, 1.5, 2 and 3.

The pool here at the house is, I think, about 15,000 gallons. The one at the rent house is a little smaller.

Based on the size of the pool, I think that it would have been worthwhile switching to a smaller two speed pump. Assuming that you want to make your current pump and motor work, I would suggest replacing the impeller with one two steps down from your existing impeller. This will reduce your flow rate and keep the new motor from being overloaded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.