How long after a rainstorm do you wait to retest the water?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So we just had a monsoon here for about 30+ minutes then about 15 minutes of normal rain. I'm sure the chemistry is messed up now, and actually kind of really curious to see the effect.

How long do I wait after the storm is over to test to make sure that everything is ’mixed' and I'd be getting true results?

Usually they recommend 30 minutes. In the grand scheme of things, one inch of water isn't too much difference in a large pool. Think of it if you drained out an inch or two, it would change things that much. For me, not being able to get out there and keep things balanced and having the pump not running for more than a day or two is what sets me back.

Let your pump run a good 30-40 min's before testing anytime !
Rain usually has very little effect on your waters chemistry. To get things really out of whack you would need A LOT of rain fall. If you get runoff into the pool that'll get things messed up. Otherwise you should be fine. Won't hurt to check if it'll put your mind at ease. ?

So not as much of an effect as I envisioned, but PAgirl has a real good point about the amount of water actually coming in.

pH rose to 7.6 from 7.4
CH dropped from 300 to 290
TA stayed at 80
CYA stayed at 50
FC/TC unaffected at '4' ( my range on the comparator is 3-5) but I want to get one of the drop tests that changes color to really be sure about what my chlorine levels are at. Have to go review that thread to remember what that's called.

I going to recommend the TF100 kit. It's the best value and the one I use along with many others. If you ever have to fight an algae out break you going to need an FAS/DPD test kit to read higher chlorine levels. The TF100 will do that for you along with accurate testing of your other parameters. Best investment you can make for your pool. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.