Need Help with New Pool Please

Aug 30, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
We had a new above ground pool installed in July. It was great for about 4 weeks. We were using the test strips from the pool installer and then from Walmart. When the water was not looking as clear, we took our water to the local pool store twice for help. Which now I realize was an error and I have learned a lot from this forum.

So now our water has been green, we bought the Taylor 2006 Test Kit. We did pool math yesterday and added muriatic acid and bleach and stabilizer, and our chlorine had reached 0. We vacuumed the pool, we added more bleach before bed according to pool math. Our CC was high last night and I did not understand the whole SLAMing process However I did understand we had to get our ph down before SLAMing.
We went out this am and we see some blue but still a lot of green.

Our first test results late yesterday afternoon(after getting the 2006 test kit) were:
FC 0
ph 8
TA 225
CH 150
CYA 0

Like I said we used the pool math and added chemicals:

a few hours later in the dark, we just checked the chlorine after determining it was difficult to see the colors with just the lights from the garage we didn't do any other tests.

FC 1.6
CC 1.6

Our test results this am are:

FC 4.4
CC 0.6
ph 7.4
TA 275
CH 175
CYA 30 - really difficult to see the dot, but not 100% gone

Using Pool Math it talks about added borax and more stabilizer. We still have socks hanging in the pool with stabilizer and have read here that it can take up to a week to dissolve. But instead of Pool Math
I think we have to do the SLAMing process since the pool still has some green and the CC is not 0.5 or less, but looking at the chart Chlorine/CYA Chart I am confused of what to do now. Do we need need to get our FC to 12? And if so we just change the target FC to 12 in Pool Math?

I appreciate your help.

Michelle

Hi, welcome to TFP! The blue box near the bottom of PoolMath will tell you your shock level for the slam. Use that number in the "target" column of PoolMath to see how much bleach to add. Assume the CYA is at the level you targeted and use that number in the "now" column, even if it does not register on the test yet. Your shock level is dependent on the CYA level, so make sure the CYA level is where you want it in PoolMath to get the correct shock level. Raise the FC to shock level and check every hour or two and add enough bleach to get back to shock level.
Just use the numbers from PoolMath for now.

Your sock(s) should be in front of a return or in a skimmer to get it dissolved quickly. Squeezing it often will speed the process even quicker. However even if it is dissolved, it can take up to a week to show up on a test. Therefore assume what you've dosed it to is there in your computations. Don't worry about the borax for now. The dot has to completely disappear. You can reuse the test solution as often as necessary until you can repeat the result. Again, if it isn't a week since you dosed the stabilizer, I wouldnt worry about retesting it again until it's been a week.

Update and more questions, thanks so much for the info so far.

Am I only checking the FC level during the slam?
So far we have done 2 more tests and added bleach

At 1:30
FC 4.5
CC 1.5

I moved one of the socks into the skimmer basket and squeezed them both, added 153 oz bleach 8.5% and wiped down the walls, the floor somewhat, and stairs with a pool brush

Just now at 2:45
FC 2
CC 0.5
added 204 oz bleach 8.5%, put the Aquabot rover in to clean
The sun came out which may have lowered my FC?

About how long will it take to get to FC of 12?

We are home all day and will be checking about every hour. I may go through all my testing supplies for FC in one day?

THanks,

Michelle

You will be using quite a bit of bleach until you reach the cloudy-clear stage of the slam. Right now the FC is being rapidly consumed oxidizing the algae. As the algae levels go down so does the FC demand. This is why we want you to test FC every couple of hours the first couple of days. During the slam just check FC and CC. What was your targeted CYA level?

My target CYA is 40, I was at 30 without the dot completely gone, but mostly. I have the stabilizer in socks in the pool, on in the skimmer and one hanging next to the ladder for now.
Just now I only tested
FC 11.5
Yeah!
I thought it was every hour I had to check levels, not every couple of hours.
How long should I wait to do the next check?
The pool cleaner still has 1 hour to go.

Thanks for the help.

also your first post obviously you were using 25ml sample which gives accuracy to 0.2ppm FC
i assume you are now using 10ml sample which gives accuracy to 0.5ppm FC
with 10ml sample your reagents will last a lot longer
if still using 25 ml sample check this link
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions
the more frequently you adjust FC back to slam level the quicker it will clear
minimum is 3 times a day max ix is every hour
you will soon know how often you need to check by how much drop in FC you have

Every 2 hours should be often enough, however if you added enough CYA in the socks to reach 40 ppm, then you should be using 40 as your current CYA in PoolMath which makes your shock level 16ppm instead of 12. Next time you add bleach add enough to reach 16ppm from this point forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might want to order a refill of the r-0871 if you're worried about running out during your SLAM. I went through 3 .75 bottles of it last week after my pool had turned green due to pump issues. I stocked up on 12 bottles of bleach at a time.

Check your local hardware store to see if they stock 10% bleach. Also, some pool stores carry 12% bleach which they call "liquid chlorine" or "liquid shock". They usually keep it stocked in the back which means you have to ask someone if they have it. Then they give you the dirty looks and the hard sell about not using bleach, blah, blah, blah....just ignore them.

I like using the concentrated stuff to cut down in the number of bottles but I'm also willing to pay a higher price for it. So check the price per unit volume and divide that by the percentage number and you be able to see which concentration is the best bang for your buck.

I was crazy the first time I SLAMed and got up like every 2hrs the first night to test and re-dose. I was amazed at how much chlorine the pool was sucking down but it cleared in 3 days and has been sparkly ever since. It works, just hang tough and post lots of results so we can cheer you on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check with our pool store tomorrow, they are closed today. I even wonder if I should trust there is 8.25% bleach in the store bleach. I will continue to test, the water is still green though looking more clear.
We may get in it today to hand scrub the ladder and the walls, instead of just using the brush.
This am
FC 6
CC 0.5
More bleach added. I am hoping 3 days will work for us. I will test every hour today trying to raise the level.

I know I have read it is safe to be in the pool at shock level, but I want to ask to be sure. I am attempting to get it to FC of 16 is that still safe to be in the pool? Because the we getting in it to hand scrub includes myself and the kids, and I want to be sure it is safe for the kids.

Thanks

Yes you can get in the pool with FC levels up to shock level for your CYA level. Just make sure you can see the bottom for safety reasons.
If your going to use 8.25% bleach, get it at a place where there is high turnover like Walmart. It'll be the freshest. The higher percentage of chlorine the faster it degrades if not stored properly. ?

I am getting the bleach at Walmart, so that is positive. However we cannot see the bottom of the pool, so we will continue to brush. I was so worried about the chemicals that I didn't even think about the fact that the bottom of the pool is not visible. When we put the robot cleaner in we can only see him when he is right under where we are looking, he moves and he disappears quickly.

Thanks for the advice!

I have a feeling you may need to forget about it clearing up completely in 3 days. Mine was visible all the way through the slam which lasted almost a week before I finally passed the oclt. Keep at it! ! You'll be happy with the results!

New results
I can hardly believe it
FC 16 - Yeah!!
CC did not test, ordered more reagent and this am it was 0.5(I am not out but am concerned I will run out before the pool is done with this process)

So now I think we work to maintain FC at 16 until pool is clear. I will only continue to test FC until clear until my new reagent arrives. We are brushing now. Do you think every 2 hour checking will be enough or how far apart can I go? I also have one question about backwashing as I read more I see people post about it. Should I backwash because we are SLAMing? THe pump reads 16 and has never been as high as others have posted. I appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.