Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing pressure when vacuuming pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing pressure when vacuuming pool

My pool system is about two and half years old. It has worked without a problem. Now the system looses pressure when I vacuum.

This is a Hayward sand filter type system with a VERI FLOW XL Valve.

1. The system pumps normal with the pressure between 15 and 17.

2. When I turn the in line valve to the vacuum position, the pressure stays between 15 and 17.

3. When I insert the vacuum hose i have suction for about 30 seconds, then the suction slowly gets weaker with a small amount of air coming through the jets into the pool, to no suction in about 10 seconds with air returning to the skimmer pushing the vacuum hose out of it's seat.

4. I tried a different hose and the same problem exists.

5. I checked the in line basket filter seal, it looks fine and I made sure it is seated properly.

I was hoping someone could offer some possible causes and solutions.
    16' x 48" round Intex AGP. 1500gph Intex cartridge filter/pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing pressure when vacuuming pool

Do you have a lot of air in the pump basket when the suction drops? Make sure you prime the vacuum hose before connecting it to the skimmer. Just hold one end in front of the return until no more air bubble out of the other end. Then keep both ends of the hose underwater until it is connected to the skimmer. Also, if you have a swivel cuff on one end of the hose make sure it is at the vacuum head end, not the skimmer end. If it's at the skimmer end it can let water in causing the pump to lose prime.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes we have done that for a couple of years and it works perfect. Must be something else. Thanks for the info though.
    16' x 48" round Intex AGP. 1500gph Intex cartridge filter/pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi and welcome to TFP!!

Sounds like a suction side air leak I saw Adam's post and figured he was right, but you say it's not that.

Perhaps there is a pump lid gasket issue that only truly shows when the extra pressure from the vacuum is occurring.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)