AquaLink won't recognize AquaRite

LoL Rick

Aug 30, 2014
Tampa
I have an AquaLink RS4 and AquaRite SWG, installed together in 2007 and they used to work together fine with the RS controlling all aspects of the SWG. But while running through the diagnostics on the AquaRite I inadvertently changed the emulation. I just changed the control board on the AquaRite and no matter what emulation I try or how many times I cycle the power or in what order, the AquaLink diagnostic menu shows "AquaRite (not compatible)." I've tried to find the revision on the back of the AquaLink board, but don't really know what to look for and no letter codes are jumping out at me. If it helps, the PDA shows "3.0" as the version for all the software.

Is the Aqualink now permanently stuck in this mode of not recognizing the SWG? Must I buy a replacement circuit board, and how can I have any confidence that a used board from Ebay won't be incompatible just like this one?

That's what Zodiac/Jandy will do to you. I had the same problem after upgrading to an iAqualink (rev T) device (see my post a week or so ago).
I was sniffing my RS-485 bus and my Aquarite kept identifying itself as "Aquapure", but the system kept recognizing it as "Aquarite (not compatible)". Switching to a previous version (rev R) and keeping the AL-5 emulation is what fixed the problem.

PDA 3.0 seems a pretty old rev for them pulling that "(not compatible)" trick though (iAqualink requires rev 4.0, which I assume to be similar to rev R or T for the non-PDA version), so try restarting the control center.
If that doesn't help, you could try upgrading your system to an iAqualink (PDA or non-PDA) system which will give you internet control, and in my case, with a rev R board, it will talk to the Aquarite.

That's what Zodiac/Jandy will do to you. I had the same problem after upgrading to an iAqualink (rev T) device (see my post a week or so ago).
I was sniffing my RS-485 bus and my Aquarite kept identifying itself as "Aquapure", but the system kept recognizing it as "Aquarite (not compatible)". Switching to a previous version (rev R) and keeping the AL-5 emulation is what fixed the problem.

PDA 3.0 seems a pretty old rev for them pulling that "(not compatible)" trick though (iAqualink requires rev 4.0, which I assume to be similar to rev R or T for the non-PDA version), so try restarting the control center.
If that doesn't help, you could try upgrading your system to an iAqualink (PDA or non-PDA) system which will give you internet control, and in my case, with a rev R board, it will talk to the Aquarite.

For those that are interested, Jandy/Zodiac as of Rev T has place in their code that if the Aqualink sees an non-compatible SWG, it will remember this and even their own AquaPure will not work. So if you have powered up your Aqualink with the AqauRite or private label connected directly, you have locked out all SWGs. I have heard that there is a way to remove this lock out. As for the PDA, think this start either in 5.0 or 6.0. Which ever they release near the same time as Rev T.

That's right. When the system sees a device announce itself as Aquarite (or others), instead of AquaPure, the Aqualink system will lock out ALL SWGs for ever.
It is fairly easy to fix, but it will require you to tap into the RS-485 communications bus to reprogram the AquaRite (once).
It uses a USB adapter you can pick up for $5-10 on Ebay/Amazon, and a little bit of guts (if you _really, really_ mess up, you'll need someone to reprogram your system, or buy a new rev T CPU ($100)).
Bottom line is that, if you want your Hayward Goldline,.... SWG to work with an Aquarite system, you need to switch it to AL-5 before you _EVER_ connect it to a rev T system.

That's right. When the system sees a device announce itself as Aquarite (or others), instead of AquaPure, the Aqualink system will lock out ALL SWGs for ever.
It is fairly easy to fix, but it will require you to tap into the RS-485 communications bus to reprogram the AquaRite (once).
It uses a USB adapter you can pick up for $5-10 on Ebay/Amazon, and a little bit of guts (if you _really, really_ mess up, you'll need someone to reprogram your system, or buy a new rev T CPU ($100)).
Bottom line is that, if you want your Hayward Goldline,.... SWG to work with an Aquarite system, you need to switch it to AL-5 before you _EVER_ connect it to a rev T system.

New information has come to me. Hayward seems to have stop supporting the AL-5 that would permit the Aqua Rite to work with Aqualink. So you are still rolling the dice if it will work or not. Also, replacing the CPU will not fix the issue. The issue is on the main board logic board, not the CPU which you can switch out. When I locked mine, I purchased a device that permitted Aqua Rite and Aqualink to work together. I did have to send my Aqualink logic board to them to unlock, but it works great now.

just an update because i read this thread, the chlorine translator is a device that will link rev T to aquarite. I purchased and will install soon and update with any additional information.

just an update because i read this thread, the chlorine translator is a device that will link rev T to aquarite. I purchased and will install soon and update with any additional information.
Make sure you do not hook up the AquaRite to your iAqualink until the translator is in place for if you do, the iAqualink will lock out all SWCG even with the translator.

- Flappy

i got my chlorine translator in yesterday from flynn engineering and was a cake to install and worked right away. i now have iaqualink with rev T controlling my aquarite as if it were an aquapure. its nice having a better salt system than jandy but still interfaces with aqualink for pool/spa % changes.

Just saw this. I too got the Translator from Flynn Engineering and hooked it up to my new AquaRite SWG. Worked perfectly the first time I turned the power on, and started communicating with my iAqualink system. 100% recommended for folks that want to maintain the integration with Jandy, but want a mainstream SWG.

Dino

Do you have a link for the Translator from Flynn Engineering? I couldn't find it online.

I have an Aqualink system that I just upgraded to iAqualink and will be reconnecting the Aquarite SWG system soon. It's an old Aquarite system, installed in 2000, so reading this thread makes me wonder how it will integrate into Aqualink.

Thanks.

-EDIT: Never mind - found it!-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@TXPool007 Reviving a super old thread. Hi Austin neighbor, I searched through your post history and didn't see any explanation on how to reprogram the ALL SWG lockout issue with a rev T board. Do you remember the process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It's been a while but when it sees a non-Aqua pure device it will write 0x12345678 to 4 byte locations in the higher side of the memory and that will lock it out. Reading back the memory from the device will show you and allow you to clear its by overwriting these locations with 0x00000000 (the rest in that area is empty (0x00) anyway).
I used one of the tools from the Jandy pool simulator Software together with a USB based RS-485 connector to read/write memory. PM me for more info.

Yes. It's been a while but when it sees a non-Aqua pure device it will write 0x12345678 to 4 byte locations in the higher side of the memory and that will lock it out. Reading back the memory from the device will show you and allow you to clear its by overwriting these locations with 0x00000000 (the rest in that area is empty (0x00) anyway).
I used one of the tools from the Jandy pool simulator Software together with a USB based RS-485 connector to read/write memory. PM me for more info.
Hi! I have no idea how to message you on this platform, but I have this exact issue and already have an RS485 adapter. Can you help?

Also note the time they last checked in when you click on their profile. In this case the member visited yesterday and you'd likely get a response within a reasonable time. If it's been months, notsomuch.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.