Odd results, not sure what to do

Jun 20, 2014
Boxborough, MA
First, apologies -- I dug around but couldn't find the right thread with the answers.

Using my handy dandy TFP kit, I just measured:
Taylor Chlorine ~1 ppm
pH ~7.0 (not 6.8, but not yet 7.2)

FC 0.5
CC 3.5 :confused:
TC = 4.0

CYA <20

CH 450

TA 150

21000 18x36 oval vinyl pool

Battling green algae at the moment.

What's with the high chloramines and what do I do? I'm shooting for free chlorine 10 ppm to shock, but not sure what to do about the combined chloramines.

Thanks.

The CC is a byproduct of what little chlorine you have breaking down some algae. It is one of the 3 criteria that will be fixed when you properly slam your pool. See pool school on following the SLAM procedure.

Does the CYA test mixture get cloudy at all? What did your CYA used to be?

If it's way lower than it used to be, and the CC is really high, you might have gotten some of whatever bacteria it is that converts CYA into Ammonia. If so, the pool's appetite for chlorine will be insatiable.

My advice: target 10 for the FC and start dumping bleach in, rechecking every hour and replenishing as needed. Once the CC starts dropping and the green turns grey, then worry about raising CYA. But keep the pool at shock level for your CYA level the whole time. Your pH is close enough, and the TA is high, so I expect the low pH will correct itself.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here :lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

CC is what it is and it isn't something you actively change it's the result or indicator of something taking place in the water. It's a result of your FC eating algae and as you destroy algae with a high enough FC level the CC drops.

I would add a little CYA until you are sure you are 20-30ppm so you aren't losing all the FC to sunlight during the day. You need to SLAM the pool : http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
Test and add bleach as often as possible to maintain your shock level.

- - - Updated - - -

And bring the pH up to 7.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.