Pleats and Square Feet

Aug 17, 2014
valrico/florida
Ok, so I`m another one who ended up with more pump than is good for me in a TOTAL AGP package.
After a brief period of denial, shifting to a frantic search for somebody(anybody)to counter all the evidence that shoving 60gpm thru a 50gpm filter is bad.
And looking at assorted filters and pumps, getting more depressed as the $$$$$ kept growing.
I have a question.
My current 50gpm, 40sqft filter cartridge is the same size as one with a 50sqft filtering capacity.
Both are exactly the same size, with the number of pleats differing.
The 40 has 120 pleats and the 50 has 152.
On the filter housing, Hayward rates the 40sqft as being able to use 50gpm and the 50sqft at70gpm.
So, what do you folk think????
Switch to the 50sqft filter cartridge-please say yes......

I will be interested to hear the feedback. I believe that I am "over pumped" as well. Mine is with a SD60 sand filter and it came with a 2hp single speed pump. I see people with 3/4, 1 and 1.5hp on here but rarely 2hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to switch the filters and it would increase your GPM and filtering capacity so there shouldn't be a problem.

What difficulties are you having with the current setup ??

You should be able to switch the filters and it would increase your GPM and filtering capacity so there shouldn't be a problem.

What difficulties are you having with the current setup ??
Thankfully none, for both reply and not having any issues---yet.
Just in cruising around the great electronic highway, I kept getting told.
Dude, you got way too much pump for a pool your size.
People with double my gallonage(that a word?)were saying their pumps are less than 1hp and move less gpm.
So I kept looking around and EVERYBODY had the same comments...inefficient and overpowering the ability of your filter.
Then I saw all the "stickeys" about how they toss big pumps into kits with small filters.
That`s what got me going on the worry wagon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.