Found critter in pool, do I need to shock?

Jun 23, 2008
Florida
I found a rat in the pool going for his morning swim this morning. So I scooped him out and tossed him into the woods in the back. Do I need to shock or anything like that? I did a quick search, and most people seem to think it's a problem only if the critter has been dead and sitting in the pool a while. If I don't need to shock, would it hurt anything to add some anyway? My wife is insisting we change our water lol, she's a little freaked out...I'm trying to convince her otherwise.

There are a number of opinions on this and therefore not a clear cut answer.

IMHO, I feel that anything below shock level is alright. But other people set their line higher or lower than that.

Wearing an older swimsuit and showering after would seem like a reasonable idea. :-D

Alive rat, I would shock Monday when everyone is back to work. Don't worry about it.
Raiderchuck .... sorry, but I would shock now. Dead is dead; there for you never know.

My grandkids can go in the pool when chlorine is 10 ppm or less..... my two cents.

A word of advice....... Never tell your wife or kids that you found anything alive or dead in or around the pool.

Putting the issue in perspective, rats and many other critters regularly swim in our reservoirs, springs, wells, streams and other sources of drinking water which we only treat with a mild dose of chlorine. Although it may not be a good idea to mention that to sensitive types of people.

Pour bleach in, wait an hour and dive in :cheers: (It'd really suck to get plague, just because you didn't want to spend a couple $ on bleach :wink: :p )

Anything larger than a bug that's dead in the pool get's removed and chlorine added, any rodents or birds that are alive get evicted (possibly leathally :evil: ) and the pool gets chlorine - cute as some of these critters may be, they CAN carry diseases, so why take the risk - bump up the fc!! :hammer:

Happy swims! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.