Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found critter in pool, do I need to shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Found critter in pool, do I need to shock?

I found a rat in the pool going for his morning swim this morning. So I scooped him out and tossed him into the woods in the back. Do I need to shock or anything like that? I did a quick search, and most people seem to think it's a problem only if the critter has been dead and sitting in the pool a while. If I don't need to shock, would it hurt anything to add some anyway? My wife is insisting we change our water lol, she's a little freaked out...I'm trying to convince her otherwise.
    14 X 30, 15000 Gallon
    In Ground, Gunite
    Built 1994
    No automatic cleaner (it broke)
    Using the Pool Buster Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found critter in pool, do I need to shock?

What a coincidence.I found a mouse in my pool too this morning but it was not alive and assume floating for awhile.I have the same question you do.What do I do to the water?Should I be worried?

Thanks
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

3. Back To Top    #3

If it were me I think I would go ahead and shock the pool. In fact I know my wife would insist I shock the pool !! What could it hurt and at the same time it will give you piece of mind in the mean time
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with TiZ!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If I shock today when can I swim?
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

6. Back To Top    #6

There are a number of opinions on this and therefore not a clear cut answer.

IMHO, I feel that anything below shock level is alright. But other people set their line higher or lower than that.

Wearing an older swimsuit and showering after would seem like a reasonable idea.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Alive rat, I would shock Monday when everyone is back to work. Don't worry about it.
    Raiderchuck .... sorry, but I would shock now. Dead is dead; there for you never know.

My grandkids can go in the pool when chlorine is 10 ppm or less..... my two cents.

A word of advice....... Never tell your wife or kids that you found anything alive or dead in or around the pool.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Putting the issue in perspective, rats and many other critters regularly swim in our reservoirs, springs, wells, streams and other sources of drinking water which we only treat with a mild dose of chlorine. Although it may not be a good idea to mention that to sensitive types of people.
    Intex 16'x48" AGP 5,000 (uk) gallons
    Intex 635 pump
    Bio Diesel filter bags
    4 solar radiators and a solar cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Pour bleach in, wait an hour and dive in (It'd really suck to get plague, just because you didn't want to spend a couple $ on bleach :P )

Anything larger than a bug that's dead in the pool get's removed and chlorine added, any rodents or birds that are alive get evicted (possibly leathally ) and the pool gets chlorine - cute as some of these critters may be, they CAN carry diseases, so why take the risk - bump up the fc!!

Happy swims!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

ok I ran the pump for 16 hrs and FC at 4.0(I have a SWG)

who would swim in it if they found a dead rat that was in there for a couple of hours 48hrs ago?

11. Back To Top    #11

I've swam in a lot worse water.

I would go in now.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump