Two Speed Pump

Jul 4, 2014
West Melbourne, FL
Hello!

We just completed our brand new pool about 2 weeks ago and since this is my first pool, I've been reading TFP almost non-stop to make sure I at least have some idea of what I'm doing when the PB hands over the reigns. Thanks to the awesome pool school, I'm pretty comfortable with the basics of the chemistry and how to use my TF-100. The PB just added salt today and told me that since I'm not getting any more plaster dust when I brush and the chemistry is well balanced, I can start running the SWG tomorrow and reduce the run time down from 22 hours/day on high.

Once again, thanks to the pool school, I figured out that my pump will do a turnover on high speed in about 3 hours, and in about 6 hours on low speed. My question is this: when should I run the pump at high speed and when should I run it at low speed?

I like the idea of running the pump at high speed in the mid afternoon when it's the hottest outside, giving the added benefit of running the pool cleaner and hopefully having the pool nice and clean before we jump in in the evenings. It seems like running the pump at low speed in the late evening and into the night would be good to cleanup after we're done swimming. However, it also seems like it would also be a good idea to run it in the morning to early afternoon to keep the SWG going during the day when the pool is in the sun. Maybe a good compromise is to run it for 3 hours on low speed in the late morning, 3 hours on high speed in the mid afternoon, and 3 hours on low again in the late evening. As it always goes, I think I've just answered my own question in the process of writing this post :rabbit:, but what do you all think?

pool.jpg

Hi, welcome to TFP! I run mine at low and only use high speed to vacuum the pool. Water filters more efficiently as low speeds, as high speed tends to "force" the water through and blasts a little more dirt through with it. Your water features probably work a little better on high speed, so you may want to use that speed for the aesthetic value. A little trial and error with run speeds will help you decide on the correct combo of run times for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.