Debating cover type for pool closing

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
This will be my first ever pool closing. I live in an open, flat area with few wind breaks. I'm nervous about using the cover included in my pool package. The winds here have ripped doors off of two different equipment sheds in the last 3 years. I'm pretty sure (I think) that a winter pool cover wouldn't fare too well either.

The pool place said I could remove the cover after all the leaves have dropped. There are 2 large trees nearby. Living on a farm, there will be corn fines flying around all winter as semis are loaded to go to the grain elevator. I'm considering a leaf net cover, but I'm not sure the mesh is small enough to keep out corn fines and still let the wind through. And there is the other issue of all the dust/dirt that will get into the pool without a solid cover.

I have a partial deck and I cannot slip the cover between the deck and pool wall. I will need to connect the cover to the deck in some way.

I recently read somewhere on the internet, I don't remember where, that a lady had damaged her swimming pool by using the solid cover in a windy area. Supposedly her top rail got ripped off the pool. Yikes! I don't want that.

If you live in a high wind area I would really enjoy reading about how you cover your pool in the winter. I'd like to learn from your trial and error process so that I don't make too many errors:)

High wind area or lots of winter snow fall... There your best bet is a mesh safety cover. It requires instalation of anchors into pool decking, cover is held in place by straps and springs attached to anchors. They are the most costly winter covers, however. They are also called loop-loc (brand name) covers.

I agree that would probably be the best. I have been to the loop loc website and it doesn't appear that I can use one unless I have a deck that wraps entirely around my pool. My deck is only around about 1/4 of my pool.

Do you know of a way that I can use a loop loc cover with my current set up?

The mesh will keep the corn fines out. The biggest mess I get from the fields is when they pick beans on a windy day. It's enough to clog my skimmer if I'm not home.

The wind can be tough on an AG cover. Weighting it down with bleach bottles full of water usually works well.

I ended up buying the hurricane cover yesterday. Other than standing up to wind, the fact that it can be cut so that it works for pools with partial decks was a huge selling point for me. Right now they are selling last year's cover which is green and also buy one get one free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.