High CYA - Do I need to Drain Pool?

Aug 29, 2014
NJ
Hi everyone. I'm hoping you can give me some guidance on my levels.

Live in New Jersey
Pool is 22,000 Gallons
Vinyl liner
Hayward DE filter
Typically use puck chlorine system, but switched to BBB recently.

Current levels:
1.8 FC
7.5 PH
70 TA
130 Cal Hardness
100 CYA

I was out of town for a few weeks and didn't have anyone maintain pool...now levels are all messed up. Water is nice and clear, and I know I need to dump a couple of gallons of chlorine immediately to raise FC, but I am very concerned about the high CYA. For most of the summer it was up to about 80, and I didn't mind that. Now I think I might need to replace water. According to pool calculator, about 75%. Is this true? Do I have any other alternatives?

I am concerned about replacing this much water and possibly damaging the liner.
Also, we live in a suburban neighborhood, and our pool backwash hose runs along the side of the house to the front yard. The hose terminates near the public sidewalk, not a sewer. It would completely flood the sidewalk. Isn't this illegal? Do I need to reroute the hose to the public sewer?

Any help would be appreciated!

Maplewood

I am new here and dealing with high CYA too. The experts here told me that 100 CYA is the limit for that test and that the test needs to be done with 50% tap water and 50% pool water to get good CYA measurement. See step 9 of the extended CYA directions here (scroll down to CYA):
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

Have you done that? Everyone here is going to want to know before they can help.

The alternative to replacing water is to have a company perform RO (reverse osmosis) on the water. I did not find anyone in Maryland who did this so not sure what luck you'll have in Jersey. It's a service that seems more available in dry areas like California.

So you're probably looking at a drain and fill. I don't have a liner pool so hopefully one of the experts can answer that for you.

I have no idea about the legalities of draining water where you are. Would it be possible to use a submersible pump and run the hose to a drain line somewhere?

Thanks for your response. I just did the cya water test and got 48x2= 96. So the 100 reading is fairly accurate. Not sure what I should do. My wife thinks I should just dump some bleach to get FC higher and ignore it, but I worry about it being this high. We bought this house 2 years ago, and CYA was always 80+. Maybe someone else can offer advice? Thanks again for your response.

I should have mentioned... the experts here are going to ask you a few other things to so I might as well tell you - that way you can reply and they'll have what they need to help you more than I have.

1) Add your pool info to your forum signature. I know you included it in your first post but adding it to your signature makes it show in every post so the info is quickly available. See the second paragraph here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3673-Rules-for-Signatures-and-Avatars-Please-Read

2) Do you have a SWG (salt water generator) - you can include in the forum signature. The acceptable levels of CYA vary depending on whether or not you're using a SWG.

3) What test kit you're using or where you got your test results.

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome :)

Have a look at my original thread and the replies from timerguy and Richard320. It may help you decide what to do or at least give you something to consider:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/82549-New-Member-First-time-testing-seeking-help-high-CYA-drain-close

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.