Liner installed over old jet - what to do?

Oct 7, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have an old inground pool that we inherited with a home purchase last year. We love the pool and have crystal clear water thanks to the information gained here.

The previous owner had a new liner installed presumably to prepare the house for sale in May of last year. I had the pool inspected and the pool guy said whoever installed the liner did a pretty good job considering the condition of the walls and age of the pool. It is perfectly straight with no wrinkles. At the same time though whoever installed the liner went right over a few rocks:( and did not use any foam behind the liner.
Anyways they also went over an old jet that I can only assume leaked at some point underground since it used the old "black" pipe used in the 70's. My question is why would they go over the jet with the liner? Wouldn't it be better to install the liner as if this jet worked and then put a winterizing plug (screw on type) in there? Is retro fitting this a DIY?
At this point should I leave this alone or remove and plug. My worry is as the liner ages and becomes more brittle this is a site for a potential tear.

Please see the pic and thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 135
I'd leave it as is for now...if the liner tears, then you'll just get a new one and clean up the old mess then. It seems like it would have been better just to remove the jet and install foam over it, but at this point you're kinda stuck.

What I have done in the past is go buy a $15 piece of sheet stainless steel from Lowes and put it over the hole. That way it's at least has a hard surface behind it so nothing can puncture it or risk of it ripping. I usually just duck tape it with some strong tape.

What I have done in the past is go buy a $15 piece of sheet stainless steel from Lowes and put it over the hole. That way it's at least has a hard surface behind it so nothing can puncture it or risk of it ripping. I usually just duck tape it with some strong tape.

Great idea but his still has the fitting in it.

OP - you wouldn't be able to do this idea without first removing the fitting entirely. And to do that you'll have to be on the outside of the pool wall.

(I just fixed my leaking return so I know all too well how the fittings go together)

No I never take them out. Just get a 2'×2' square and should cover it pretty easy
Or if it's just a little pvc sticking out take a sawzall and cut as much off as you can. Or even a angle grinder

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.