VS pump prices...

jvrobert

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2014
Mesa AZ
Hi - I've been tinkering with the idea of a new pump since mine seems underpowered a bit these days, e.g. I just got a Pool Cleaner and it only turns like 8 RPMs and they recommend 11. I'm going to tinker with the plumbing a bit first, but if I do buy one...

I see a lot of people recommending 2-speed pumps over VS because of cost, but looking around I think I could get a 3HP Intelliflo VS for like $750 (after $100 rebate from the power company - it's like $853 on amazon). Compare this to what looks to be the same price almost for the 2.5HP dual speed WhisperFlo, is there any reason I wouldn't get the VS?

One thing I do wonder is if I can control the variable speed pump via automation. With a dual speed I assume there are two sets of power terminals one for the low and one for the high speed and I can hook them up to the Intermatic for control. Can I do the same with the Intelliflo?

Yes, yes you can setup 8 preset speeds then select from your preselected speeds via the automation system. I don't have automation, but I'm told it works well w the VS pumps

BTW: You can do even better on the price. I just bought the Pentair Intelliflow VS 011018 pump for $835 no tax and free shipping. Another $29 for the couplings which are very nice, they have O-rings that seal against the pump, makes the install much easier and cleaner. You can also get a $100 pre paid Visa card as a rebate from Pentair (in addition to the power company rebate) and an extended 3 yr warranty if you have the pump professionally installed. That makes it effectively $635 for the pump delivered to your door. Mine was ordered on Thursday and received on Monday. I am very happy with my new pump!

Bought pump here

Rebate form here

I found about the Pentair Visa card rebate when I called them for advice on which pump to choose. They said any pump purchased from a retail outlet (online included) and installed by any licensed professional (electrician, pool service, plumber, etc.) qualified. As long as you have a retail receipt and a receipt for the install. My rebate has already been approved.

The install did cost me more than the rebate, but you also qualify for an extended 3 yr. warranty with any professional install.

You shouldn't need a new pump to run your cleaner. Please describe in detail your plumbing setup including pump model (or picture). I am able to run my cleaner on a 1/2 HP pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.