Compressor Vs "Shop Vac"

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
So I have read quite a bit on here about people using compressors and shop vacs to blow out their lines. I was surprised to read that it could be a risk to use the compressor because in actuality I may not be getting rid of all the water that could freeze in my pipes. I have no issue buying a shop vac but interested to know what size you suggest for a 20x40 pool and what attachments I need to purchase if any. I feel fortunate that using the compressor like I did last year didn't get me into any problems. Would rather be safe and do it right as opposed to hoping that all will be ok/

Thanks in advance.

I use a shop vac. The problem with a compressor is that to get the "blast" of air to clear you need a very large tank to store compressed air that is ready to be released. I use a 6.5hp 12 gallon shop vac. I had a 4hp Rigid (from home depot) that I used to use and honestly think that it did a better job. The highest HP models seem to have the highest CFM ratings on the shop vac site, so I say as high of HP as you can afford that can have the flow reversed. Capacity (gallons) is not important for this application.

Buy one of these.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14-...obileweb_pip_rr-1-_-100081216-_-203820088-_-N
It is awesome. I bought it full price a couple months ago. I'm glad this topic came up too. It was gonna be a PITA to get my compressor to the pool. Looks like I found out what I'm using to winterize mine. It makes sense. Low pressure and high volume to blow lots of air through the lines.

Great deal on that vac. And you are correct, it is not about pressure, but volume. And like I mentioned. I dump a few gallons of antifreeze in there for insurance even thought my last return is shooting water like old faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment is located below my water level. I have one ball valve shut off for suction side and one for return side. I unhook everything between the shutoff valves. Plug my skimmer (only one) from the pool side with a skimmer winterizing plug. Now no water can enter the skimmer. Go down to suction side valve and open. Let gravity do it's thing. Take shop vac (on blow) to skimmer and blow air towards valve until it is mostly air coming out. Add 2 gallons of rv antifreeze. Hit with blower quickly, antifreeze will spit out shut off valve. Close valve. Thread gizmo into pipe and dump a gallon of antifreeze into skimmer as insurance. Suction side done. Then I take vac to equipment and hook up to shut off for return side. Turn vac on and open valve. After a couple mins the nearest return will begin to bubble slowly, wait for a couple minutes and bubbling will become fast and furious. Plug that return. The next closest return will start to bubble, like first. Repeat same steps. Then the last return (farthest one from pump) will do the same. (I have 3 returns). I the plug that one with a one way valve, like this. http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Openi...losing-Accessories/One-Way-Winter-Pool-Valve/. And shut vac off. The lines are now free of water, if you closed shut off valve it would air lock, like a main drain. But I keep it open and pour about 3-4 gallons of antifreeze in there and "bump" the blower to force into lines until my kid sees the pink antifreeze come out is the one way valve. I then shut that valve and call it good. The whole antifreeze in either of these is probably overkill since I know that they are 99% clear of water and any remaining water has room to expand if it freezes, but, overkill is my middle name. I then remove my light from the wet niche, attach to a weight like thishttp://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Mushroom-Anchor/product/45256/?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided. I have an auto over and don't want the light just bobbing around. And this keeps it on the bottom where hopefully it will not freeze. I remove all parts of my SWG. Blow out the heater and antifreeze, blow out the sand filter thru the drain, then the backwash port. Set multiport to winter, keep drain plug off. Suck all water out of strainer basket and fill half way with antifreeze, lube o ring and shut. Turn off all breakers for light, SWG and pump and leave the deck outlet on so my cover pump will work. Cover all equipment and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.