Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to add salt

1. Back To Top    #1

How to add salt

I have some questions about starting my SWG. I'm coming up on a month since my pool was filled. From what I hear, one must wait a month before starting up the SWG.

My PB is taking care of the chemicals for the first month but after that I'm on my own. I bought the SWG generator myself so I don't think the PB will be adding any salt.

Where is the cheapest place to buy salt? I see Home Depot has water softener salt granules for fairly cheap. The bag says something like 'up to 99.6% pure'. This kind of bothers me. I would prefer to see something that says at least 99.6% pure. What kind of salt does everyone else use? I assume the pellets would be much more difficult to disolve.

How do I add the salt? Should I pre-disolve it a bit at a time in a bucket or can I just sprinkle it around the pool? Should I pour it into a skimmer or main drain?

Thanks
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to add salt

The water softener salt @ HD or Lowe's works just fine. I think it's called solar salt. The stuff I bought was in blue bags, best I can remember. I figured up how many bags I needed, and poured them in around the edge of the pool, then used my brush to stir it up quite a bit.

I found this thread in the "Automatic Chlorinators:SWG, Liquidator, etc" forum.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I dump it in the deep end brush to the main drains. It doesn't take along time to dissolve. This is what I used from Lowes.
    http://www.cargillsalt.com/food/dc_salt ... excoar.htm
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought Morton's pool salt from Sam's Wholesale. I think it was $4-5.00 for a 40 lb bag. I didn't wait a month to start up my SWG. Did it week one, poured it in, brushed it around and made my kids play with it until it dissolved. (I know, I'm a terrible mom.) No problems. My pool is AG so maybe that makes a difference as to why I didn't have to wait a week.
    Ballparkmom
    16 x 33 x 52" AG pool, Hayward Vari-flo pump & sand filter, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return, Zodiac LM3 24,000 SWG, Pool Rover Jr., 2 kids & a million toys

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I always recommend that you add it to the deep end of the pool and brush it around a bit until is dissolves. Remember in colder weather the salt will take a longer time to dissolve.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

6. Back To Top    #6

You only need to wait a month to add salt if you have fresh plaster/pebble.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I just pour the salt in the skimers (3) by the time I get the third filled the fist one has almost desolved. Since I need 1,200 lbs of salt I try to find the 80lb gags of solar salt in the blue bags. The last time, it cost about $7 per bag, however that store has closed, So I may need to go with HD.

Rich
    28x52 In ground, former cement pond (really) about 43.5k gallons
    Hayward EcoStar VS pump
    Hayward Pro Grid DE7220 DE filter
    Pool Pilot Digital 220 with the SC60 cell,
    4 returns, 3 skimmers and 2 bottom drains
    Raypak Rheem PMHP 8300TI 137k btu heat pump
    Liquid Solar blanket
    Aquabot T4 Turbo RC.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the answers. It sounds like it doesn't make much difference where the salt is introduced since it disolves quickly.

9. Back To Top    #9

I want to mention that it took 12 hours for the salt concentration to level out - I poured the 560 lb salt (= 7 blue bags) into the shallow end and brushed it around for 10 minutes. Except for a few pebbles that came with it it had completely dissolved. At first the salt reading was 5700 ppm ! Shock ! But the heavier high salt water from the bottom must have migrated to the main drain, thus giving the SWG temporarily a higher concentration of salt.

The test kit salt test strips and the SWG measurement of the salt concentration agreed on salt levels.
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

10. Back To Top    #10

pauster,

Are you pretty sure that your pool is 25K gallons? Mine is really close to 25K by meter reading. If so, mine should also take about 560 pounds.

Kevin

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Kevin,

that's what the pool builder told me but I have no way of being certain. I bet they did not know for sure either, hard to tell with a free form pool.

According to the Pool Calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com/ it would have taken me 669 lbs to get to that level so either I have less water (closer to 21000 gal) or already had some salt in the water (not impossible).

I only used 7 of the 8 80 lbs bags I had and I am glad I did.

I suggest you sneak up on the right level - put in 6-7 bags, measure, check with your SWG manual for the optimum level and then continue to add gradually.

Patrick
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

12. Back To Top    #12

You definitely had some salt in the water already. Practically every pool chemical adds salt along with what ever else it is doing and there is usually at least a little salt in the fill water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I would think so - the AquaPure told me 143 (ppm) but I don't know how accurate the reading is at that level ... I guess the safest way is to take your time and test ...

BTW I had only added 3 or 4 gallons of bleach, some dry acid and CYA, the water is fresh from the tap (70%) and a truck (30%) ...

14. Back To Top    #14

Is there any difference between the Morton Pool Salt (white bag) and the Solar/Water Softener Salt? Is one better then the other?
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes like anything with pool in its name cost! Also the solar salt has bigger junks, but that is not a problem; just takes a little longer to disolve.
    28x52 In ground, former cement pond (really) about 43.5k gallons
    Hayward EcoStar VS pump
    Hayward Pro Grid DE7220 DE filter
    Pool Pilot Digital 220 with the SC60 cell,
    4 returns, 3 skimmers and 2 bottom drains
    Raypak Rheem PMHP 8300TI 137k btu heat pump
    Liquid Solar blanket
    Aquabot T4 Turbo RC.