Royally screwed up my pool - DE everywhere!

Aug 28, 2014
Frisco, TX
Hi guys! I'm new to TFP and to pool maintenance in general (as evidenced by the following chain of events).

I started caring for my beautiful new (new to me, just bought the house, pool was installed in 2002) pool last week and already have had a ton of fun learning from my mistakes and from the internet. I'll try to be as clear and concise as possible and give all the information I have. My test kit is coming in the mail today, so unfortunately, I don't have updated chemical levels yet.

Last Wednesday, I took my water to Leslie's and came home with this:
FAC 5
TAC 5
CH 200
CYA 99
TA 100
pH 7.4
Pho 300

They recommended I add 3 capfuls for PhosFree, told me how much DE to use after I backwash, and sent me on my way. (I have since learned from this forum that phosphates are generally not an issue that needs to be addressed)

I got home, added my PhosFree and backwashed my filter. This is where it gets fun. I turned the backwash valve, pulled up, then turned again (I believe this last turn was my mistake). I turned the pump on and water started coming out of a seal in the backwash line. I got nervous after about 30 seconds, switched off the pump, and put the backwash valve back in the starting position.

I added a bit less than the recommended amount of DE since I didn't backwash for long. I stood up from the skimmer and the entire pool had a cloud of white DE everywhere. YAY!

Since then, I have sealed the leak in the backwash line that was causing air to get into the pump and have vacuumed every day. It wasn't helping, so I went to Leslie's and they recommended SuperFloc. I used that, let it sit for 1.5 days, vacuumed, and I still have DE everywhere.

There is no air getting into the system anymore, so my best guess is that I damaged the filter somehow. I'm dreading taking the whole thing apart, but that's all I can think to do.

The backwash valve sticks really badly, could that be causing an issue?

Oh yeah... we were planning on having our first pool party in our new house... this Sunday. Joy.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I can not remember how the plunger backwash valves work ... but I did not think there was really a way to do it wrong. What you stated sounded correct. Since it is very stiff, the o-ring seals in the plunger could be damaged and thus allowing the DE to get through.

Taking apart the filter is not too bad. See the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial. Although I am not sure that is the problem.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I've broken down and called someone to come out and clean the filter. I'm fairly confident I can do it myself, but with the impending party, I'm terrified of making the problem worse - something I am really good at doing!

I'm going to attempt to service the backwash valve while the technician is here. I'm hoping he will stop me if I try to mess it up!

Good luck!!! These things always seem to happen right before the party.

Although this is nothing compared to the threads in late May: "I have a huge BBQ planned for Memorial day in 2 days and my pool is a swamp, what should I do?" ... well you should have planned a little better and started a few weeks ago ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.