Which SWG if I should get one

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
This is a tough question. I really like the idea of having an SWG but when I looked at the cost was a little blown away, maybe it was just where I was looking. I don't want to buy a cheap unreliable unit but the unit I looked at was around $2000 with the stuff needed. Do I need to look at a different brand, which ones are good and what should they cost? Sorry for the vague question but I also can't remember the unit that I was looking at, it had some patented bypass valve and such. I think that next years expense is going to be a heater and a better cover, not even sure we are going to get to 70 today so it looks like our pool season is about over without heat. Guess I'm just looking for ideas that others have done. Thanks

You can get a 40k cell (you should not go smaller) from Hayward for under $1000 ... not sure where you were looking or what you were looking at. Pretty easy to install if you have done any PVC and electrical work.

The Hayward is a good middle of the road SWG system that is VERY common so there are more people that will be able to help you should you run into problems.

Agree with the Hayward Aqua Rite - I've had mine for a year and a half and have only had to clean the cell once (easy), and I had to replace the current limiter (common problem). If you've got a chlorine feeder in your system, the cell will probably fit at that location (mine did, and did for another install on a friends). Then its just installing the flow switch in the system, and tying the power in to your pump timer or pump switch. Of course, it's a little more technical than that - and I think pool companies charge around $300 for the low side and $500 on the higher side for the install. As jblizzle said above, if you've done any work with PVC, it's a simple install. Running the electrical conduit to the box from my timer was the worst part of the install for me (had to reem out the metal hole in the generator box to make a 3/4" conduit fitting work). Well that, and the 400 lbs of salt I had to carry from my car to the backyard lol. But in the end, never having to buy chlorine tabs again, and simply turning the output knob to adjust how much chlorine goes in the pool - that's so worth it. I've only had to add a few bags of salt too since I put it in during March of last year. I think during the summer, I was spending about $100 a month on chlorine tabs and shock. With the deep south summers extending from March and going to October, I was easily able to recoup the costs within a year..as I probably spent $800-$1000 on chlorine the first year I had the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.