Pool in the garage?

Aug 28, 2014
Dover, DE
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and have been trying to find some info on putting my 15' x 42" Intex Easy Set pool in my garage. It is a new pool and I am a pool newbie. I have read about things I can do to keep the water clean and other topics, but I am wondering if this is a really bad idea or if it is manageable. So here is the gist. I want to put my pool up today so that
I can enjoy it this weekend with others. I want to be able to get in any time of year and avoid rain so I figured the garage would work. It's a two car garage so there is plenty of room for the 47' circumference pool. I don't use the garage for the car. If putting in the garage is not a good idea long term, would it be okay for the short term, say a month or two? I was thinking I can put the pool in there and leave the doors open while we are in there. I've read that you need a ventilation system to bring in fresh air from outside and pump out the air inside the garage. Do I really need that or can I just keep the garage door open during the day and close it at night? If the doors are closed for long periods will that cause any problems? Would large fans work to blow air out from garage and another to blow air in? I want to avoid wear on the pool from too much sun and rain. Does rain have any effect on the actual pool, I read it can sometimes affect the chemistry of the water, but does it affect the pool itself? The garage has drywall and is attached to the home with a bedroom above it and a mud room leading into the home. Will there be an odor from the chemicals used that flows into the home? My main concern is the affect the chemicals may have on items in the garage (mowers, bikes, kid’s toys, old furniture, freezer, etc). I am also worried about the evaporation of the water causing damage or just keeping everything I leave in the garage wet from the humidity. I have a lot of questions. I really don't want to put the pool up in the garage and have to dump 3,284 gal to put it outside. I also don't want to put it up outside and have to dump it when the rains come this weekend. Whatever happens I have to get this pool up and get in it this weekend, but I don't want to waste the water.
Thanks for all your help. If you need more info to better respond let me know.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Updated question: What if I put the pool in an unfinished basement for a couple of weeks to a month?

Last edited:
My first reaction to putting it in the garage is that water is going to be coldddddddddddd,,, with no sun to heat it.. Hmmmm i really don't think you are going to enjoy it as much as you think... shivering is not my idea of fun...
The other issues you mention all have alot of merit, chlorine smell, humidity, etc.. its your call but i would advise against it.

I also tend to think you'll be better off outdoors, especially if you absolutely want to be swimming in a few days. Unless your fill water is a lot warmer than what we have here, you'll want all the sun you can get on that water before getting in (as an example, our pool water was 59 degrees right after fill from well water).

Have you considered splash-out, when you're imagining the pool in the garage? Unless your swimmers are all pretty sedate, you're likely to have considerable quantities leaping overboard with a 15' Easy Set. You mention kids' toys in the garage, which implies kids, and that implies lots of splashing, at least judging by my own kids... They love to get the water churning, and with an Easy Set, it's also fun to make waves and get the flexible sides of the pool undulating.

If setting up outdoors, you do need a very level spot -- if that's available, setup can be quick; if not, leveling the necessary ground can be time consuming.

Another comment re garage -- I'd think the cement floor would feel very hard underfoot in the pool.

Rain does not affect the pool in any horrible way -- no reason to think you'd have to dump all your water if rain falls on/in the pool.

I set a small pool up in a garage years ago in my old house. In my mind it seemed like a good idea but it was cold and a short while later I noticed cracks in the floor of the garage. Water weighs 8.33lbs per gallon x 4600 gallons for your pool size = 38300 lbs in your garage. That is close to the weight of 9 passenger cars. If it is attached to your house, I would say its not worth it.

So, even if you rigged a kick butt solar heater. Big enough to keep your water toasty-comfy. I`m guessing it wouldn`t be long before you had a nice green algae film on all kinds of stuff in the garage that get`s even a little bit of sunlight. Then there would be mold issues on anything it could grow on. I recall being at an indoor, private pool in California during the winter and the interior was like a rain forest.
Like the saying goes, it was a nice place to visit, but man am I glad I didn`t have to maintain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had my first pool in my double garage... Lucky we had a really hot summer as it was very cold in the water.... It was great with a solar heater.... And if the pool burst it would have run out onto my driveway and front garden... We had to put ours in a shed, as we had no room outside for it, and pool fencing laws here in Australia are ridiculously strict... But putting it inside with dead bolted doors was fine... I was glad when we moved house and I was able to put it outside... :) Check the first couple of pages of my thread... It shows the photo of the pool inside....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.