Solar cover on or off when SLAM'ing

You can leave it on for some of the time. Like at night to retain heat. But, it is good to let the sun in to help burn off the CC that are developing while you are fighting the nasties. Plus having it on some will help kill anything that might be on the cover.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you!!!

The cover will only last 1-2 years anyway ... and the active chlorine level still is not very high ... if it retains heat at night so that you can swim more this season, I would use the cover.

At some point he cover will need to be exposed to the high CL level or scrubbed with bleach water to kill off any algae, if it was exposed to the algae. Otherwise it may reintroduce algae spores and eat up your free chlorine if you use it after the SLAM is done.

I took mine off for now, and had it on all last night, so i'd hope it would be clean or on it's way to being clean. I'll throw it back on tonight to help keep some warmth in.

And add my location J

I have a related question, about exposing the solar cover itself to the higher chlorine levels during SLAM... Would it be advisable to flip the cover over during some of the time you use it during SLAM, in order to kill the stuff that might be growing on the top surface? I notice that parts of the top of our cover get sort of grungy (areas that stay damp during the time the cover is off the pool), and I've wondered if that might help reintroduce unwanted organisms (e.g. algae) into the pool.

For people with big solar covers, and mechanical assistance in rolling them, I see that wouldn't be a viable option. However, for a smaller pool, flipping the cover is simple enough -- is it a good idea?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.