Getting out the Solar Cover...in August!!??

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Weather man's calling for a low around 60 tonight, possibly lower in the outer areas. :shock: Looks like I'll be putting the solar cover on the pool tonight, if we're going to swim tomorrow.

I never thought I'd need a solar cover during August in Tennessee.

LOL ! Mike .... I was just having this discussion with my wife about whether to cover or not tonight ....
Our water right now is 86 and its been hot as he&& and humid here so I would hate to loose the heat weve gained from the hot temps ...

I know! This is wild isn't it?? Sunny, low humidity and only 85...in August??? :shock: And gonna be like this all next week too! :sun: :party: I'm taking vacation this next week so won't that be fabulous??? :whoot: I don't think I'll get the cover out though...such a PITA. Of course, after one day of freezing I might be changing my mind!! :lol:

This weather is horrible and I don't use a solar cover. Usually by this time of year, my pool is very warm and up to my standards. This whole summer, I don't think I've gone above 82 degrees.

It's pityful if you ask me. :(

Our high for today... 72 degrees. :roll: This morning, it was 56 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrr

Alright dang it!!!! I just went out to TRY and have Margaritaville Friday in the pool AND IT WAS TOO COLD!!! :evil: The pool is 86 and that's warmer than the outside but still too cold for me. :shock: I'm spoiled by the 90 I've been lollying in at night! :roll: I want my August back!! :lol:

midtngal said:
I know! This is wild isn't it?? Sunny, low humidity and only 85...in August??? :shock: And gonna be like this all next week too! :sun: :party: I'm taking vacation this next week so won't that be fabulous??? :whoot: I don't think I'll get the cover out though...such a PITA. Of course, after one day of freezing I might be changing my mind!! :lol:

That's another reason I decided to get the cover out. One night of low temps I can handle, because the pool will warm up fairly quickly again a day or two later; but a whole week of lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's? Looks like I'll be covering the pool all week. :grrrr:

I could sure use some global warming this week!

midtngal said:
Alright dang it!!!! I just went out to TRY and have Margaritaville Friday in the pool AND IT WAS TOO COLD!!! :evil: The pool is 86 and that's warmer than the outside but still too cold for me. :shock: I'm spoiled by the 90 I've been lollying in at night! :roll: I want my August back!! :lol:

Our pool was 85 before I took the pooch for a walk this evening, and 84 when we got back, 30 minutes later. The cover's on the pool as I type. Just amazing..last summer I don't think we got below 100 degrees during the day for the entire month of August.

Oh well, there is a silver lining - at least my garage won't be 110 degrees tomorrow while I'm working on my Bimmer.

LOL :lol:

You guys are funny right there now! (larry the cable guy moment)

Seriously though, I wouldnt own a pool up here in ND without a solar cover. I have used it every day since May. Its 63 out right now as I type and the pool is at 84. Its suppose to get to 82 today, but as long as the sun comes out from the clouds, it will warm up the pool water with the cover on it.

Its amazing what these covers can do to the pool water. Really is a green way to heat your pool plus its FREEEE! Cant beat that! :goodjob:

reindeerboy said:
LOL :lol:

You guys are funny right there now! (larry the cable guy moment)

Seriously though, I wouldnt own a pool up here in ND without a solar cover. I have used it every day since May. Its 63 out right now as I type and the pool is at 84. Its suppose to get to 82 today, but as long as the sun comes out from the clouds, it will warm up the pool water with the cover on it.

Its amazing what these covers can do to the pool water. Really is a green way to heat your pool plus its FREEEE! Cant beat that! :goodjob:

Chad, I wouldn't own a pool in ND without a cover either. In Tennessee however, we usually can put them up sometime in June. Heck, usually by this time I'm running a fountain to cool down the pool, not trying to keep the water warm with a solar cover!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The nights are getting rather nippy here in eastern PA, 58° F !

We only just cleaned the solar cover in mid-July and put it away but yesterday we brought it out again and put it back on. That water is way too cold for comfort. I'm beginning to think about wrapping layers of pink insulation around the outside of the pool :)

And i'm sitting here in a sweltering daytime temp of 64 degrees and a pool temp of a whopping 71 degrees.

Pool cover? You're kidding. Our pool is wearing its solar cover, a blanket, a continental quilt and a set of wooly mittens :-D The family huddles around the pool at night to try and keep it warm.
We could only dream of temps as good as what you guys enjoy :mrgreen:

I started to swim in those conditions this spring at 70. My wife thought I was totally nuts. Guess I not the only one anxious to go swimming.

Last night we swam till 11. Pool water was at 83. Not bad at all! :-D

Today we are suppose to have mid 80s for temps so that solar cover should pump that temp right back up to the mid to upper 80s I hope. 85-87 is about perfect in my book.

Mike, Interesting in TN for a cover at all. I thought you guys were suppose to be pretty hot this time of year? Whats going on with the weather down there? Seems to me like its been a kind of cool spring/summer this year nationwide eh?

Anna, I think you have pretty similar weather in PA as we do here in ND. Maybe a bit less wind, but nontheless, pretty similar I would say.

Happy swims to all!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Solar Cover :angel: Our pool proudly sports it's solar cover until 1 hour before we go in and less then 1 hour after we are out. Only 2 DAYS :shock: this summer have I left the pool cover off all day and night to let the pool cool off a little.

THANK GOD for SOLAR HEATERS and :sun: . They have kept my pool at a PERFECT 88-90* up here in Wisconsin. With the solar cover on at night, the pool will loose 3-6* with a night temp. of 60* like it's been lately. A bunch of friends and I were swimming for over 3 hours yesterday, pool temp. 88*. I love it, I'm just hoping the days stay sunny, cuz as long as they do I will have a warm pool, it feels even better to jump in when the air is only like 65* 8) .

Adam

reindeerboy said:
I started to swim in those conditions this spring at 70. My wife thought I was totally nuts. Guess I not the only one anxious to go swimming.

Last night we swam till 11. Pool water was at 83. Not bad at all! :-D

Today we are suppose to have mid 80s for temps so that solar cover should pump that temp right back up to the mid to upper 80s I hope. 85-87 is about perfect in my book.

Mike, Interesting in TN for a cover at all. I thought you guys were suppose to be pretty hot this time of year? Whats going on with the weather down there? Seems to me like its been a kind of cool spring/summer this year nationwide eh?
Anna, I think you have pretty similar weather in PA as we do here in ND. Maybe a bit less wind, but nontheless, pretty similar I would say.

Happy swims to all!

Yep, you're right. Normally this time of the year we're averaging highs in the low - mid 90's, and lows in the mid - high 70's. Last year was very abnormal. We had a stretch there for over a month with no rain, and highs near or over 100 degrees. Worst drought we've seen in years, and I've lost 4 mature trees so far because of it, and another pine tree that's browning out as I type.. :cry:

Here in Tennessee, I usually have to use a solar cover when I initially open the pool at the last of May/first of June time frame. By the start of July, the temps are usually warm enough to put it away until sometime in September. I usually close the pool at the end of September.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.