Switching from DE to Cellulose in my Hayward EC50AC--tips appreciated!

Nov 7, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hello Folks:

Is there anything I should be concerned about while making this switch? I'm tired of my chest hurting (whether it's psychosomatic or not) after adding DE every time I clean. Plus we've got a drought here in SoCal, and we'll be able to reclaim the water now (I'm told) rather than hassle with disposing of the DE when I clean.

It's an 18' 5,000 above-ground pool, and I've been using 2 scoops of DE--how much cellulose should I be adding? The Leslie's guys didn't know. They seemed unfamiliar with this filter, even. Nice guys, though, but given their unfamiliarity, I thought I should get some more well-informed input.

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and guidance!!!

I am not sure how much to recommend. I used a little less than the bag said was recommended based on some things I have read here.

I am not sure how I feel about it. It seems to be clogging up and reducing flow faster than I recall the DE did. Is it because my pool is getting more dirt than last year or do I just not remember? I don't know. Maybe it is more efficient and keeping my water clearer?

Not sure if my pressure is rising faster with the cellulose than the DE due to catching more stuff or if it is just the nature of the product.

There really is no normal pressure. Every pool is different. Depends on your pump, filter, and plumbing.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How much depends on the size of your filter. If you can get a model number off it, it should be no problem to figure out how much to use.

You don't actually reclaim the water. But it's okay on the lawn because the cellulose will break down rather than form a white crust the way DE does. It just doesn't go to waste down the sewer.

I haven't had any problems since I switched a couple years ago.

I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location. I am dumb.

I think I'm at just under 6 cups of cellulose for my pool. Should I take apart the filter and wash off all the tentacles with a hose as part of the conversion process, just to remove ALL the DE?

Yes, you should remove all the DE first.

Not a fan of that location now ;)

Just go to the upper right of the forum page. Click the Settings which is under the big Pool School button and then "Edit Signature" on the left.

I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location
Go to the top right corner of this page and right under the large Pool School button there is a link called "Settings". Clink on this is on the lower left corner of the page that comes up is a link called " Edit Signature" . Clink on that and be smart again,;)

I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location. I am dumb.

I think I'm at just under 6 cups of cellulose for my pool. Should I take apart the filter and wash off all the tentacles with a hose as part of the conversion process, just to remove ALL the DE?
Yes, get rid of all the DE. The manual for your filter says 5 lbs of DE which translates to about 18 oz of fiberclear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK! I made the switch on Friday, and took the filter apart to get rid of all the DE. Put in 6 scoops of the cellulose, and the next day the pool was as clear as I've ver seen it. Just gorgeous! Unfortunately it had gotten much cloudier and greenish and thick-looking in the days since, despite adding 4-6oz of granulated chlorine every night except Sunday (out of town!)

Is this possibly a product of not enough cellulose? We did have algae on the sides we were wiping off every day, but nothing like this. Strangely, there seems to be less on the sides now daily than there was before the switch.

Really wish I'd paid better attention in High School Chemistry; I'm very intimidated by the science of being a pool owner.

TF 100 is the better value. No chemistry knowledge is required, you only need to be able to read and follow directions.

BTW: look at the SpeedStir. It is an option I didn't buy the first time around, but now I can't live without. It makes testing so much easier, quicker, and far more accurate.

Yup, TF-100 and if you are dealing with green water a SLAM is in your future, so go with the XL option (more of the stuff you need for a SLAM).

The two options I love are the speed stir and the sample sizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.