Beginning Signs of Algae

Jun 12, 2014
Hauppauge, NY
Ive read through the Slamming Process multiple times. and am currently in the midst of slamming my pool because I started to see blotches of green on the walls of my pool. (Pool is clear as can be though).

My question is before I started slamming my pool I would have a FC loss of approx 2-3 ppm durring the day. Now that I started slamming, the first day I had a 6 ppm loss during the day. Is this normal to have a higher ppm loss because chlorine levels are higher?

Prior to slamming my levels were

FC: 6ppm
CC: 0.2 pmm (maybe 0.1 ppm)
PH: 7.4
TA: 90
CH: 80
CYA: 45

First night of slamming I brought levels up to 20.5 ppm in the morning FC was 18 ppm. Went home at about 3 pm and my FC was already at 12.5 ppm. (is this normal). I will get chlorine back up to 20 ppm. But was just curious on everyones thoughts.

When I get home from work tonight I will brush pool and vaccuum then backwash filter and then add some more DE.

Will algae eventually turn white? Beacuse it is still a light yellowinsh color as of this morning.

Yes, for two reasons. When your FC level is way above the proper level for the CYA you have, it is eaten by the sun much quicker. And, since it is fighting organics in the pool, that eats it too. It's a double-whammy.

It will turn a whitish gray.

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it. One other question after im finished Slamming Im going to bring up to Mustard Algae Shock Level. Do I raise to this level and let it reduce oin its own or do I have to maintain it at this level for a certain time.

I would not recommend coming up to mustard algae level unless you are positive you have mustard algae. With a vinyl liner you have to be a little more careful about your FC levels than someone with a plaster pool. Are you convinced it is mustard algae? Is the algae mostly in shady areas?

The two spots I saw algae was under my ladder and in the corners (mostly shaded), but It was very noticable. My pool has not been cloudy, it was sparkling clear even with the algae I saw.

I will be closing the pool in approx 2 weeks if that means anything

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.