Bleach vs pool specific chlorine

Bern

May 19, 2014
Hampton Falls, NH
Hi,

My vinyl liner in-ground pool is using a ton of chlorine. Both Chlorine and free chlorine are almost non-existent within a few days of shocking. I keep a float with large chlorine tabs in the pool at all times and those seem to get used up pretty fast too. The pool is not subject to heavy use. All other chemical/PH parameters are within normal range. I've been using household bleach. Should I be using something different? The pump runs about 6 hours /day and the temp is maintained at 88 F by a propane heater that cycles with the pump. I live on the NH Seacoast. Pool store tech thinks keeping the heat constant is the cause of chlorine depletion
Thanks for any advice/help

Bern

Welcome to TFP!

The tabs are probably your issue. High CYA can make it very difficult to control your pool. Knowing your CYA level is critical to dosing with chlorine.

Ah....used to live in Dover and Greenland. Now in Texas where I bet I can use my pool longer than you can use your pool (without heater)!

As RobbieH said above, please post all your details. I don't think the 88 degree water has anything (or very much) to do with your chlorine depletion. Those of us who live down south deal with those temperatures all the time.

You say you are using bleach but you also say you are using a chlorine float? How are you managing the chlorine? When do you add bleach? Are you adding bleach based on any chlorine test? Just curious, why both?

Do you have one of the test kits recommended on this site (i.e. TF-100)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.