Aqua Rite SWCG not producing chlorine/no lights - "Current Limiter" question...

Jul 2, 2012
Central MS
Aqua Rite SWCG not producing chlorine/no lights - "Current Limiter" question...

So a couple of months ago, my SWCG quit producing chlorine, but all my lights were working. So I cleaned the salt cell, and after a year of use - it was still pretty spotless. Nothing happened. So I kept googling, and there was mention of the current limiter (the quarter size black thing) on the PCB. So I desoldered the old one. At first, it didn't appear to be damaged, but sure enough, after very close inspection - the two parts were "undone", and it basically split pretty easily. So I took the old part number off the old limiter, and ordered one next day from amazon prime. Resoldered it back in, and it was working beautifully! It's a very clutch fix to a seemingly large problem. You'd think hayward would do something about it - but I digress.

Two months later, I'm having the same problem...except this time, no lights are on the board. But after researching, I'm assured it's the same problem again.

Every post I've read about the current limiter mentions digikey part number 570-1062-ND, which is SL32 2R025. However, looking back at my order...I ordered AS32 2R02, or digikey part number 570-1105-ND. The specs are below for each:

Data SL32 AS32
R@25 deg C 2.0 Ohm 2.0 Ohm
Tolerance +/- 20% +/- 25%
Current (SS max) 25A 25A
R@Current 0.024 Ohm 0.0185 Ohm
Diameter 30mm 30mm
Approvals UL/CSA UL
Lead Spacing 7.8mm 7.1mm

My question is, are the differences in specs that much different, or are the two parts interchangeable? The leads on the AS32 are way heavier vs the SL32...but I'm wondering since the replacement AS32 has already blown within a couple of months - that maybe I should try the SL32 with a tighter tolerance and higher resistance...but shoot, I may have that backwards. Anyone familiar with the tech specs of these two?

Re: Aqua Rite SWCG not producing chlorine/no lights - "Current Limiter" question...

SL32 2R025 this is the one that I ordered from Digikey. Worked just fine. I bought 2 of them to be on the safe side. funny thing Is I taped it to my manual with the extra 20amp fuse and put them away for safe keeping. Now I can't find them :)

Re: Aqua Rite SWCG not producing chlorine/no lights - "Current Limiter" question...

Yeah, thats the one that I've read that most people buy. I ordered a couple of each from digikey and the SL one from Amazon, just so it'd be here in time for the weekend (pools clouding up really fast). But I just took the PCB out, and I looked all over round part, and couldn't find a separation. But when I flipped it over, there was all kinds of brown/burn type residue on the new solder. I'm guessing it's just a bad connection now or something. On a multimeter, I'm reading infinite resistance with 2K ohm setting on the soldered flat. When I tap the leads, I'm getting around 145. Oh yeah, and the fuse is good (first thing I checked). Either my soldering skills suck (which is probably the case), or this sucker gets dang hot. I'm guessing with it being so humid here, the gaps in the solder collected a little bit of moisture - but that's all I can figure. Anyone else have a guess?

I just soldered a new one in mine. I just cut the old one off leaving the legs in place. Tinned the legs then soldered the new part to them at a 90 degree angle. That leaves it above the board and vertical to better dissipate heat away from the board and other components. Back in service.

Yeah, I figured these things are only a few bucks anyways - since I already had the board out, I went ahead and just put a new one in (used the SL this time - maybe it'll last longer). Whoever figured out this fix is a dang genius. I really wonder how many people purchased new $200 PCB's instead of $2 current limiters. But regardless, let it run last night and I'm back in biz (had color on my dip strips :) )

As many others, mine AS32 2R025 (OEM) insulation physically separated and disintegrated when I touched it. I pinched the metal parts together with my fingers and got the lights to come one, but still wouldn't work exactly as it supposed to. This is definitely a bad part and will replace it. I am going to order AS32 and SL32 parts since they are cheap. I guess since I found mine bad before reading any of these forums, I could take credit for being one of the geniuses for finding the problem, hee hee:D:cop::wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.