LIVE FROM NY IT'S, well------me!

Aug 26, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi folks, thanks in advance for the warm welcome.
As you may have guessed from my user name, my name is Jim. The Grand kids call me Grandpa, the wife--well, it would be censored.

My reason for joining TFP is I currently have a pool that is nothing but trouble and would like to find out why. I'll be posting my tale of sorrow and despair in the above ground pool room sometime soon. I'll drop the name Intex as a teaser of a story to come.

Jim D.

Generally the pool care methods taught here create trouble free pools. But, you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thanks, Tim and northern.

I can see I have A LOT of reading to do, I've already skimmed (pun intended), some on topics that are most relevant to me. I'm pretty far north so my pool season is only a couple of weeks, maybe a month at best away from being over. My goal at this point would be to get through next summer algae free.
I've seen a couple of mods here done on Intex pools, I'm pretty sure that will be a spring project for me as well.