Private Community Hot Tub With CC that won't go away...

Pool_Fool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 24, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
Outdoor Hot Tub
2000 gallons
Cartridge Filters
FC- 5
CC-1-1.5
CH-425
Alk-60
Ph- 7.3
CYA-35
Salt System CC-15(salt Cell)
System is run on a Pool Pilot Digital, Total Control w/ Acid Bath Feeder.

ORP set point is at 425. I have had to continual drop the set point due to high amounts of Chlorine being generated.
When Oxi-shock is added the ORPs jump to the 600 Range, otherwise they always hover around the set point.
When the ORPs hover around the set point, it turns on the salt generator, which then generates Chlorine and then the CL gets too high.

We had some very poor weather lately and I was able to slam it for 3 straight days with no bathers, and the CCs hardly moved.
I had a slight drop in CC but nothing significant.

Something in the water is dropping my ORPs, which is turning on the Generator whens it doesn't need to.
I have spoken with a tech from AquaCal, but he is not too familiar with this size body of water run on this type of system.
This one is a head scratcher. New water is the only thing that seems to drop the CCs. But it costs $$$ to heat that water back up.

Any thoughts would be helpful here, it's got me a bit stumped.

Thanks,
PF

If the hot tub is used a lot, you simply are building up a lot of bather waste and such organics depress ORP. However, since they did not drop in spite of slamming with chlorine then they may be slow-to-oxidize organics. Exposure to sunlight could help, if that is possible (you listed this as an outdoor hot tub).

I wonder if there's something some of the bathers are bringing in that forms difficult to oxidize CC. Some sort of lotion perhaps.

What sort of bather load is there? How many people soaking for how long each?

That is extraordinary bather load. The standard Water Replacement Interval (WRI) = (1/3) x (Spa Size in Gallons) / (# of people per day) which assumes 20 minute soaks would be (1/3) x (2000) / (40) = 16 days. Perhaps with the salt cell and limited CYA you could go double that so about a month. So how long after a complete water change are you able to go before the CC becomes unmanageable?

16 days before the cc went from 0 to 1
Right in line with the numbers, huh?
I'm guessing the one thing I don't want to do is the one thing
I have to do, new water every couple of weeks, right?

Correction (the owner doesn't want to do; heating the water)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.