Replacing pump motor and SWG

Aug 3, 2014
Tell City, IN
I have a 1.5 hp 115v single speed Doheny's brand pump I bought early in the season last year when my old Hayward bit the dust. It has worked great, but when I was out of town in June I left my daughter in charge of the pool and she didn't take care of it like she should have. Enough water was lost from heavy bather load and evaporation that the pump ended up running dry for probably a day. I now have leaky shaft seals. The leak isn't very bad but has progressively got worse. A shaft seal kit will be around $40, so I've been thinking about replacing the whole motor with a two speed, 1 hp instead of repairing what I have. I didn't realize until I started reading here that my 1.5 hp is probably oversized for my pool anyway. Can I replace the motor on this pump instead of purchasing a whole new one? Where can I find two speed pump motors at a reasonable price? Here is the pump that I currently have. http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Doheny-S-Above-Ground-Pumps-8438.html

I also would like my replace the Intex SWG with something that is sufficient for my pool. It's really not quite enough, even running at max time, and I have to supplement with bleach (CYA levels stay around 50-60). It does help cut back on the amount of bleach I have to use, but I would like to have a SWG that is appropriate for a 27' round pool. The only requirement I have on purchasing one is to keep it as cheap as possible. I won't have much money to spend, so I'm fine with it not having a lot of features to make it more convenient to use. I just need it to get the job done well.

Thank you for your help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should be able to just replace just the motor, you will still need a new shaft seal. And if you go with a smaller motor, you will need to get a smaller impeller as well. This all assumes that the overheating did not damage the actual pump body.

From that link, I have no idea how to suggest a new motor. Might be easier if you post up a picture of the actual information plate from the motor.

We recommend sizing the SWG 1.5-3 times the size of the pool. So, at least a 25k cell. Larger should last longer due to running less. But, they are not cheap. Some members have started trying to run multiple Intex SWGs just because they are so cheap ... although they may not last as long as a better brand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.