In a little red barn, on a farm, down in Indiana.....

Anemone

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2007
Northeastern Maryland
Hey Mike, :wave:

Oh, I remember WOWO! I loved that station but I was from Boilermaker Territory and for some reason we couldn't get WOWO there, so I had to settle for WLS. Whenever I went to visit relatives in Fort Wayne, I was glued to WOWO on my little transistor radio. :mrgreen:

Re: Water fountains?? And hoping this is where to post?

The Mermaid Queen said:
hijack...

WLS! I grew up in NW Indiana and WLS was the staple in the 70's!

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Breaking the rules about off-topic posts.....LOL .....Larry Lujack! OMG....we're dating ourselves. We had 8-tracks too..... :p

Re: Water fountains?? And hoping this is where to post?

Hi Anemone!! :wave:

Dang, should we split this thread and put the In-Di-Aner stuff in another forum??? :lol:

Anemone, go take a look at the WOWO website sometime; it's fascinating! For instance, I didn't know that it used to be the predominant station for the east coast way back when. It's footprint went to NY!!

Uhhhh...I vaguely remember 8 tracks.... :oops: That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :whip:

Edit: Yeah, we probably should. I've split this topic from the original one about fountains.

OMG !! "Larry Lujack in the morning!" Boy does that bring back memories. :mrgreen:
Gee, there was also Tommy Edwards, and Fred Winston and ummmmm........John Landecker. What a blast from the past!

Mike, I never quite understood why my part of the state could not pick up WOWO. I did hear that people on the east coast could pick it up but dang if I could get it in W. Laf. Sigh.... :roll:

Anyone else have a pet rock? :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
newnick said:
I grew up listening to WLS too.
The Coho thing refers to the Insane Coho Lip's Army.
Just checking to see if anyone remembers that as well.

Hi newnick! :wave:

That I didn't remember. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. :wink:
I vaguely remember the incident but none of the details. Very interesting to read about though and the article mentioned another old Midwest icon, Harry Carey!

Ok, is there anyone out there who remembers the television host for horror movies, Sammy Terry? :shock:

Anemone said:
newnick said:
I grew up listening to WLS too.
The Coho thing refers to the Insane Coho Lip's Army.
Just checking to see if anyone remembers that as well.

Hi newnick! :wave:

That I didn't remember. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. :wink:
I vaguely remember the incident but none of the details. Very interesting to read about though and the article mentioned another old Midwest icon, Harry Carey!

Ok, is there anyone out there who remembers the television host for horror movies, Sammy Terry? :shock:

Anemone, the reason you couldn't pick up WOWO on the "wrong" side of the state :lol: was because WOWO used a directional antenna array, and broadcast towards the east. If I remember right, they were a 50,000 watt monster and basically saturated the east coast. I'll have to go study up some more on the website.

Oooohhh yeah, I remember Sammy Terry!!! 8) What was the name of his show..."Nightmare Theater", right?

OK, here's the old nightime broadcast pattern for WOWO. Like I said, unfortunately you were on the wrong side of the antennas. Amazing though that it covered as much as it did.

wowopat.jpg

Wow, that is a fascinating map, Mike. Yep, I was definitely from the wrong side of the airwaves, so to speak. :wink: It is amazing WOWO could reach so far! Thanks for finding that! :mrgreen:

I will have to check out their website. It looks like they have some interesting stuff on there.

Yes, Sammy Terry did have Nightmare Theater. Do you remember his friend George? :spiderman:

Vaguely...I was a wee lad back then. I used to watch Nightmare Theater with my mother (that way I got to stay up late.. :mrgreen: ). He actually has somewhat of a cult following. I Googled him the other night, and found several websites.

Wow, talk about memories.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.