asking advice -- pump/filter upgrade for EasySet type pool

singingpond

Sep 15, 2013
Connecticut
We have a Summer Escapes 18' x 48" pool (first summer with this pool after ~5 years with a smaller 1000 gal. pool of similar type). We're using an Intex 2500 gph pump with the B size filter cartridge. This pump is bigger than the pump that came with the Summer Escapes pool; however, filter capacity is still pretty small, and cleaning up after any algae event is slow and tedious.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a sand filter, and am hoping for some comments on two possible options, both of similar cost.

One is the Intex 28651 pump and filter combo, which I think a lot of people here have had good experience with:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSPHS7E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The other option is getting just a sand filter, but going larger and name brand (18" Hayward filter):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVSGRE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2N5I30GK5BT1C

For the second option, we would use our existing pump to move the water through the sand filter. The 2500 gph pump we're using is of unknown history (bought used from ebay last year), but it's been working fine so far.

Does anyone care to offer advice/opinions that might push my decision one way or the other?

This is a great site, by the way... I found TFP last summer, bought a decent test kit (K-2006), and finally started understanding how to maintain our pool. This year, with the larger pool, everything makes sense (even the algae attack that followed on letting FC drop too low was completely understandable, and it cleared up using SLAM procedures). Understanding what is going on, and what to do, is a great relief, after previous years of stumbling around pretty much in the dark with pool chemistry. Thanks TFP!

Last edited:
I'll bump once, in hope of replies. Should the question be posted elsewhere?

Sorry to barge in asking for advice without having posted anything else previously -- that's a bit rude, I guess. I thought I had been involved in some previous conversations on this forum, but I think those earlier threads were actually on the poolforum website (which I found before finding TFP, now that I think back...)

Either option is fine and way better than the very small cartridge filters.

Existing pump might be a little small for backwashing the larger sand filter, although later you could easily upgrade to a larger 2 speed pump ... and then maybe a bigger pool? ;)

Greetings Singingpond,
For ease of hookup and higher flow rates, i would go with the 28651 pump filter combo. There are ways to adapt to non Intex pumps and filters but that will add to the cost.
Another reason i would go with the combo unit is that if you want to add things like a leaf vacuum, that unit should handle it. The low flow and small cartridge filter is why i upgraded mine from the OEM. I got tired of the small mini vacs that would get clogged up if it looked at a speck of dirt. I now have enough vacuum and flow to do what i need to.

Greetings Singingpond,
For ease of hookup and higher flow rates, i would go with the 28651 pump filter combo. There are ways to adapt to non Intex pumps and filters but that will add to the cost.
Does the pump with the 28651 setup move more water than what I'm using now? We have one that looks like pretty much like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P3HCPE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2V87KZI7RGEC0
Our pump is an older model (Krystal Klear #51 is what is says on its label), but otherwise looks very similar. Is there more info somewhere on the specifications of the various Intex pump models?

I understand that the Hayward filter would require additional plumbing work on the interfaces. On the other hand, the 28651 probably won't be plug and play either, since our pool is Summer Escapes (the old Intex pump we're using has provisions for hose clamp connections, so we've managed to avoid the weird-Intex-fittings problem in our current configuration).

Another reason i would go with the combo unit is that if you want to add things like a leaf vacuum, that unit should handle it. The low flow and small cartridge filter is why i upgraded mine from the OEM. I got tired of the small mini vacs that would get clogged up if it looked at a speck of dirt. I now have enough vacuum and flow to do what i need to.
Current pump has decent power for vacuum -- in fact it promptly collapsed the cheap OEM hose between pool suction port and pump when I finally kludged a connection that made a good seal between pool suction port and vacuum hose :D -- that was an unexpected turn of events. After installing a sturdier length of flexible hose to replace the collapsed section, vacuuming now works pretty well. Unfortunately, the screen on the suction port and the small cartridge filter both get clogged pretty quickly during vacuuming. I assume a sand filter (either the Intex combo or Hayward) would address that problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Either option is fine and way better than the very small cartridge filters.

Existing pump might be a little small for backwashing the larger sand filter, although later you could easily upgrade to a larger 2 speed pump ... and then maybe a bigger pool? ;)
Interesting comment -- is there a way to predict if the pump would be adequate for backwash (assuming I can find some sort of specs for the current pump).

Yes, we do have a possible bigger pool in the backs of our minds -- certainly would want to get pump/filter that might work for a hypothetical larger water volume in the future. However, this is a new pool for us, and chances are we will use it for several years before seriously considering something larger.

Im sorry, i was thinking that you had a cheapo 1000 or 1500 gph Intex cartridge pump like my pool came with. Now that i see you have a pump similar in GPH to my current one, that changes things.
Upon reading your latest post that you are thinking of upgrading at a later date, maybe you should just invest in a smaller 50 lb to 120 lb sand filter for your existing pump. Our pools are the same size and our pumps are very similar in GPH. I have had to backwash once since upgrading mine and that was only because i wanted to "spike" mine with DE. I am completely satisfied with the size and flow of mine.

Reasons i suggest a smaller sand filter:
As Jason said, he isn't sure if the smaller pump will backwash the larger filter you linked to, and i have to tend to agree with him on that. It takes alot of water to "boil" the sand during a backwash to get it clean in a filter that large.
If you upgrade in a few years, this small pump filter can be used to run solar heating, possibly a SWG, separate spa, etc... Its cost to run would be cheaper than a second main circulation pump on a larger pool that could be put on a timer and only run a few hours a day.
Put the money saved for going with just a smaller sand filter toward your upgrade.

Thank you for the replies!

Would anyone hazard further advice on how to determine if the 2500 gph pump (nominally 2500; I'm sure actual throughput of the pump is less) we're using would be woefully undersized for an 18" sand filter?

At the moment, the 18" Hayward filter (on Amazon) is about the same price as the 16" and 14" filters... so that's pretty tempting, especially since I keep reading here that bigger filters are almost always better.

edited to add: I believe the pump we have is 1/2 hp (at least that's what I find online for the newer replacement models for this pump style).

From reading other threads, I have the impression that backwash is the main (only?) concern if a pump is rellatively small for the filter it is driving -- is that correct? I've read several statements that lower flow rates actually are better in achieving good filtration -- is that a fair statement? What about vacuuming -- would the suction through the sand filter be a lot lower than what I'm seeing now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.