One Month after Conversion-follow up

Bossm4n

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2008
Houston
I started my conversion from Baq to BBB back on the July 4th weekend. The conversion was pretty much by the book as has been described here many times. After about the third day I started seeing amazing results. Well, after a month the results are still amazing. The pool has been crystal clear every single day. Not only was it never this clear with Baq, it was never consistent. It might have been moderately clear one day, they cloudy the next with algae blooming. On any given day after running the Pool Rover, the filter bag would be green and clogged. The area under my steps was an algae breading ground. No more--there is no green anywhere. Switching to BBB was THE best thing I've done since installing the pool. For the last 4+ years I truly never enjoyed the pool. It was always so much work and no reward. I threatened to tear it out quite a few times. This forum and all the glorious information made it all possible. In the last month, I have used my pool more than all the previous summers combined.

Two weeks ago I added a ChlorEase Ultra and added salt. Now I love the pool even more, even though I am still trying to fine tune the SWG operation. The TF-100 test kit was worth every penny. It's allowed me to get all my numbers right where they should be, although I plan to bring up the CYA a touch and drop the TA a little more. I'm also considering adding borates.

Happy swimming!

13,000 AG Doughboy Oval
1.5 HP
Sand Filter with Zeo Brite
ChlorEase Ultra SWG
Pool Rover Jr.

FC 3
CC 0
TA 120
PH 7.5
CYA 50
Salt 3650

Congrats on taking control of your pool! :goodjob: Just a word of advice - since you've decided to go with a SWCG, you need to read "Water Balance for SWG's" in the Pool School. Running a SWCG requires adjusting your TA and CYA to prolong the life of the cell.

I had the ChlorEase unit last year, and decided this year to go with the Intex generator. A couple of my reasons : (1) The ChlorEase cell isn't self-cleaning, and is a PITA to clean; (2) The unit relies on water circulation past it to circulate the generated chlorine; (3) You can use a lower salt level with the Intex; and (4) The Intex was actually cheaper than the ChlorEase...wish I would've known that BEFORE I bought the ChlorEase.. :oops:

I ended up selling my ChlorEase at a yard sale we had this year. I think I got $25 for it. :hammer:

Thanks Mike. I have been reading up on balancing water for the SWG, which is why I know the TA needs to drop and the CYA needs to be a little higher. We've had heavy rains here the last two weeks (rains from two tropical storms in the Gulf), so I feel lucky that my numbers are as good as there are, considering I had to drain quite a bit out. I already cleaned the ChlorEase cell once, just the other day, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I wouldn't mind a self-cleaning unit in the future. I only paid about $169 for the Ultra model. I didn't realize the Intex was that inexpensive. I'll have to consider upgrading to that in the future. Regardless, anything is better than all the money I was wasting on Baq products and still not getting good results. I think I could buy a new SWG every month and still spend less than I was on Baq and other products to try to have a clean clear pool.

Amen, brother! So far this year I've bought exactly eight jugs of bleach, one box of borax, two gallons of acid, and four pounds of CYA. All told, maybe $50?? Back when I was being pool-stored, one algae treatment cost $40 by itself.

I will have to say that when I dunked the ChlorEase cell into the acid bath, the reaction was rather fun to watch. Made me feel like a mad scientist...Muwahhahahaahhhhaa! :twisted: :lol:

MikeInTN said:
I will have to say that when I dunked the ChlorEase cell into the acid bath, the reaction was rather fun to watch. Made me feel like a mad scientist...Muwahhahahaahhhhaa! :twisted: :lol:

Glad I'm not alone. That thing fizzed and bubbled for a good half hour. When I pulled it out, it was like brand new. I figure I might have to do that 5-6 times a season. I can tolerate that for a while. I'll get my moneys worth out of it, then upgrade.

You and I have almost the exact same ingredient list as well, expect I've used 8 lbs of CYA.

I hear ya about the algaecide. I actually think that might have been what was making the beer taste bad. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.