Problem with Pentair MiniMax (100/Natural Gas) heater

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
My heater has an issue that has progressed and it is now non-functional. I've had it since 2010, it was running as expected up until this season. What I noticed was when it reached the desired (set) temperature it would click on and off rapidly, almost as if it didn't know if it should be running or not. This only happened as it reached the stopping point. It would start and run normally until that point.

Now it will fire up for a few seconds, I can hear the sparking continue even after the gas is burning; then it immediately shuts off and gives 3 red flashes which indicate an ignition lockout.

I've tried running the pump on high and it does the same thing, so this isn't a flow issue.

Does this sound like an issue that could be resolved by replacing the temp sensor or ignition controller?

Thanks,
Aaron

Sounds like your ignitor/flame sensor isn't sensing flame correctly. Thus why you still hear it sparking even after its lit. Some people have been able to use a piece of emery cloth to clean it and then it works fine. If that doesn't do it then you would have to replace it. Now there is a remote possibility the control module has an issue as well but it would be cheaper to clean or replace the ignitor/flame sensor.

Thank you for your response! When time permits, I will definitely clean it.

This season has been a bust in my area, unless cleaning is the solution it will probably be next year before it's working again. :rant:

Paul -- I now have emery cloth and am attempting to figure this out. Last year was pretty much over and now would be a good time to try :)

Which part is the ignitor/flame sensor that can be cleaned??

IMG_20150517_125827.jpg

IMG_20150517_125817.jpg

Thanks!
Aaron

Meaning remove these two screws and wipe the part that's on the other side of the plate as if I'm sanding it? I'll take a look at it tonight. I really appreciate your help!

IMG_20150517_125817_1.jpg

I'm half way there (one screw removed). Not sure if I have a small enough wrench to hold the bolt behind it. One I was able to use a needle nose to hold the nut and a screwdriver on the bolt. The other was on so tight that it stripped a bit and also started cracking. I'm planning to shop for a tiny vise grip tonight. The ignitor electrode and ignition cable definitely need to be replaced, the ends are brittle and rusted. I haven't removed any extra panels to see how the ignition cable is connected on the other end, hopefully it's simple enough.

Yes looking at your pictures told me you'd be in for a fight. I would have drilled them out, if I had time and then used sell tapping screws to put it back together.

Dude, you rock!!

I struggled through using some locking needle nose type pliers (and another vise grip to turn the screw). Replaced the hardware. Along with the new parts I ordered: Pentair 471090 Ignitor Electrode and Pentair 471092 Hi-Tension Ignition Cable. Possibly could have done it without a new cable, but the tab on the old electrode was rusted and probably stuck. I didn't bother trying to salvage it.

Started right up, good as nearly new! :bowdown:

Solar cover is on with the heater running, hopefully we will be in tomorrow cleaning!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.