New Pool Owner Questions-andysutt (Split from other post)

Jun 8, 2007
Arkansas
Very good questions... Im a new pool owner also.

I just shocked my pool after having it up for 2 days. Did this to kill all the germs and such.

Im wondering how much bleach I need to add.

Its 15' round pool, 4 foot deep and holds about 4500 gallons.

Im just subscribing to this to see the replies and learn more.

Reply moved from original thread - TMQ

pooladdict said:
Andy:

Welcome and we hope you keep coming back.

I would sugges you get a test kit, you need to know where your levels are before anyone on here can help, but you are heading in the right direction.

Best part of this forum is the amazing amounts of knowledge on here from people who have had pools, people who work on pools, and people who sell pools. They are all here, they have gone through the trials, they know the rights, the wrongs and what things to do to fix them.

Do a search for a bleach calculator, its on here somewhere and easily tells you how much you need to add to get it moving up. But again, get a test kit, post your results an you will have answers before you can head out to the hardware stores.

Enjoy.

Rik

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum. I split your post off so the replies to you won't get mixed up.
Shocking usually will kill off whatever is in the pool at the time, but the important part about keeping germs (and algae) out of the pool is maintaining a good chlorine level at all times. Things are constantly being introduced to your pool from the air and bathers, so you have to constantly have chlorine in there.

As to the amount of bleach, I'd recommend you download the Bleach Calculator:
Bleachcalc , which is a handy PC application to determine your chemical requirements. If you have a reasonable CYA level (30-40ppm), you'll probably add a few cups of bleach a day, and a little more than a gallon to shock it. Either get an HTH 6-way test kit at Walmart for about $15 or the good one that you can buy at www.tftestkits.com so you know what's going on with your water.

I'd recommend that you not use any powdered chemicals in your pool, because the circulation on those smaller pools sometimes can't keep up and you end up with cloudy water. There are two exceptions that aren't available in liquid form: Cyanuric Acid (CYA) also known as stabilizer, and Borax or soda ash for raising pH. When you do have to add any chemicals, it's safer for the pool to mix them in a 4 or 5 gallon bucket of pool water before adding it to the pool.

If it will help, feel free to post your results when you test in this thread, and we'll be glad to advise you on what to do.

Good Luck!

I just found the split to this when I was browsing. I didnt get any email notifications for this one.

Anyways... when I used the powder to shock it, I slowly poured it in by my skimmer as it was then sucked into the filter and then out the return line... seemed to work fine, but I'm open to suggestions on this.

I'm downloading the calculator now.

I retested today and my PH has went down to around 7 and my Chlorine is still a bit high
(I posted about this in another thread. I messed up and put the chemicals I bought to shock it in, and then a gallon of bleach also.... stupid me. It was very high but is going down quite a bit)

Im waiting for the Chlorine level to get to about right, and the ph to get where it should be and then im going to add stablizer and go from there..

Am I on the right track?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.